• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whoopie sling for tie down

Gator

SH Member
Has anyone ever used a whoopie sling in place of a ratchet tiedown for something like holding a kayak in the bed of your truck? I have an excess of amsteel and was just thinking that would be quicker than attaching a ratchet strap. I'm guessing the amsteel has a much higher weight rating as well. Am I missing something?

I'm sure u can....just won't get as tight as a ratchet because no way of taking slack out except with just pulling by hand vs the mechanism in the ratchet handle that pulls lack out.

I would be curious how the vibration from the wind and road bumps would affect the whoopie sling - its strength based on constant pressure being placed on the 'inner' section of the string. I would worry a bit about the constant vibration causing the whoopie sling to loosen up a bit. I have no evidence to prove or disprove it, though.

I had some extra and made a 2 ft extension for any tie downs. I buried and eye on each end. I was going to make a daisy chain for an extension also. Sometimes my tie downs aren’t long enough for a dresser or refrigerator etc.

Back