• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who's Prepping? What Are You Doing Today?

HuntNorthEast

Just curious where everyone is at with their seasons and what you all are doing to prepare?!

I myself am currently in the process of bear baiting (Starts Aug 29th), refining my saddle setup, shooting my bow daily, running trail cams and putting boots on the ground in my old and new spots.

Baited bear Saturday - Shot Bow
Pulled cards last night (4 Shooters in one location!) - Shot Bow - Practiced one sticking
Today (After work) - Pull cards (Diff location) - Set new cams - Shoot Bow - Practice packing my saddle set up

32 days until my deer season (Coastal Sept 12th) starts here in Maine! Hoping to close the book on a nice wide full velvet 8 or the basket 9 he's been running with. Spot is canoe access only, across tidal water, in the dark. (Won't be alone)

Jumping to New Hampshire on the 15th for their opener, couple good ones over there too!

Good luck this season everyone, stay safe, have fun and post your kills!
HuntNorthEast1.png

Man I saw your title and I was excited to talk about how I've loaded all my AR mags, went to a double stack EDC and gone through my food storage. oh wrong forum lol

This is my first year in a saddle. So I've been prepping my pack and playing with arrangements to pack in pack out. Been climbing trees and practicing shots. Moved down to 3 sticks instead of 4.

My cams are mostly cell cams so I'm keeping an eye on them. at least two shooters 7 +
I have a little less than 2 months to go. Been mapping out what days I'm taking off work.
Getting excited

Man I saw your title and I was excited to talk about how I've loaded all my AR mags, went to a double stack EDC and gone through my food storage. oh wrong forum lol

This is my first year in a saddle. So I've been prepping my pack and playing with arrangements to pack in pack out. Been climbing trees and practicing shots. Moved down to 3 sticks instead of 4.

My cams are mostly cell cams so I'm keeping an eye on them. at least two shooters 7 +
I have a little less than 2 months to go. Been mapping out what days I'm taking off work.
Getting excited
This time of year is when the days crawl by and you feel the pressure for sure. Prep and practice are consuming me as well.

Thanks for the reminder btw! I have to put 2 more days in for bear opener and NH archery opener!

Never stopped. Just cant kill’m for 9 months of the year! Kids equals bear season gone : (

I've just been refining my bow setup, heavier arrows, new broadheads, and an EZ V sight. Practicing with that. Need to do some scouting. Also need to practice with my saddle and stand setups. Wouldn't be a big deal if I actually had trees in my yard ha. Not sure if the wife would go for the telephone pole in the yard. Probably go over to the in laws to practice.

I've just been refining my bow setup, heavier arrows, new broadheads, and an EZ V sight. Practicing with that. Need to do some scouting. Also need to practice with my saddle and stand setups. Wouldn't be a big deal if I actually had trees in my yard ha. Not sure if the wife would go for the telephone pole in the yard. Probably go over to the in laws to practice.
I'm hearing a lot about this EZ V sight, I guess I have to check this thing out!

I keep practicing my climbing and shooting my bow. I have been meaning to put a cam out on a friends property to see who is around this year. There are some wild apples that attract a lot of deer,that is a good spot for a camera.
My bow is at the shop getting new cams and mods,so no shooting that until i get it back.
I did some winter/early spring scouting and will rely on in season scouting for my set ups. I also want to glass a little where i can to see if there is a big buck around. We have lots of timber though,so glassing only works in some spots.
The last month and a half are the hardest as far as waiting for the opener.

Way behind that’s where. Picked up two new properties to hunt at the end of last season and haven’t even put boots on the ground yet. Sigh.

Way behind that’s where. Picked up two new properties to hunt at the end of last season and haven’t even put boots on the ground yet. Sigh.
Not necessarily a big deal though. As @Bowmanmike said, the best scouting is in season scouting. I just pulled cam cards yesterday in another one of my spots and 2 more shooters just showed up. Lets see if they are still here in 32 days though.

Not necessarily a big deal though. As @Bowmanmike said, the best scouting is in season scouting. I just pulled cam cards yesterday in another one of my spots and 2 more shooters just showed up. Lets see if they are still here in 32 days though.
Yup,things change once the velvet comes off. And the days get shorter.
I am super pumped about being able to scout/hunt my way into the woods until i find a setup that i am confident in.
That was impossible with my lead based climber. Saddle hunting rules!

Both saddle set ups (JX3 and sit drag) are dialed. Bow and arrows are dialed. Running 2 cameras on field edges. The system with them is set up camera, let soak for 3-5 days, pull them, swap cards, and re-locate them. Located a bunch of nice bucks on those 2 cams. Also have 3 cameras soaking since January/February in known big buck bedding areas. Won't check those until I'm in there trying to kill one. Glassing like a mad man. Shining whenever the anticipation won't let me sleep (like every night).

Chomping at the bit

Both saddle set ups (JX3 and sit drag) are dialed. Bow and arrows are dialed. Running 2 cameras on field edges. The system with them is set up camera, let soak for 3-5 days, pull them, swap cards, and re-locate them. Located a bunch of nice bucks on those 2 cams. Also have 3 cameras soaking since January/February in known big buck bedding areas. Won't check those until I'm in there trying to kill one. Glassing like a mad man. Shining whenever the anticipation won't let me sleep (like every night).

Chomping at the bit
You got the fever worse than i do. I just bought a ropeman to make adjusting my linemans belt easier.
Other than that i am trying to put my time in at work so i dont feel bad about slacking off later when the season is on. I am self employed,that is good and bad. I dont get paid when i dont work,but i can take almost any day off if a front moves in or something like that.
Bad thing is that fall is generally super busy for me and winter is dead. I would love to switch that around...

I'm hearing a lot about this EZ V sight, I guess I have to check this thing out!

I recommend it. Granted, I haven't hunted with it. It's not a fancy sight and it's not micro adjustable or anything. But it's pretty simple to setup. For instance, I went to a heavier arrow setup and I just had to make some elevation adjustments at 20. Then I just went to a slower insert. Checked it at 30. I will double check it at further distances but theoretically I should be dialed in out to 60 yards. Haven't "gone pro" which is flipping the insert around to the blank side, but I kind of like having the hash marks on the sides for reference. I've seen a few pop up on the classifieds recently. There's also an EZ V Facebook group that has a lot of info.

Back