• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why a quick link and not a carabiner?

I noticed that on rappel kits there is a quick link used to secure the rope. Why is this used opposed to a carabiner?

The quick links are typically smaller, stronger, and therefore less likely to fail due to side loading...

Screenshot_20230115-100312.png

I use a carabiner.
As do I. If you’re worried about it at all use a quick link or a steel carabiner. I think there is minimal cross loading hitched around a tree. You should mind how it lays against the tree as you climb though. You can also mitigate cross loading altogether by using a rappel ring and a carabiner for the lock but then you have to deal with metal on metal.

I agree with the camp that it doesn't really matter for what we do. There's no practical safety concern, IMO. However, I still use quick links in this application since they are cheaper and more compact. They just seem better suited to the task, so that's what I use, even though I probably have a dozen or more carabiners laying around.

i use a stainless delta quick link because it is only slightly less convenient but much stronger (for some reason, quick links are rated much lower than what they will do.....there's been a few tests on youtube showing this)

i suppose by that logic, i should use one to attach to my bridge as well....maybe i will

Statically, it’s going to be hard to break. If you fall on some slack those forces go up quick and if you are on a sharp edge the stress is going to be high and you have a good chance of breaking. You don’t need to be mindless climbing. Know the risks, mitigate the risks, and go climb safely.

can someone help me understand these images?
They’re pretty straightforward. What exactly are you confused about? @tailgunner was just showing a tech tip from a reputable climbing gear company which shows a carabiner being used in a climbing/rappelling scenario to cinch the rope to the tree. This is identical to how some of us cinch our tether, rappel, and climbing rope to the tree with a carabiner instead of a quick link.

They’re pretty straightforward. What exactly are you confused about? @tailgunner was just showing a tech tip from a reputable climbing gear company which shows a carabiner being used in a climbing/rappelling scenario to cinch the rope to the tree. This is identical to how some of us cinch our tether, rappel, and climbing rope to the tree with a carabiner instead of a quick link.

Ahh… I thought from the color difference in the objects one might be a quick link and the other a carabiner so that is why I asked what point was being made by the photos.

Im using a separate tether and feed the entire thing through a figure 8 bite. My rappel rope has a rated carabiner on it. For me it’s just quicker and it ain’t gonna break, no way……used to use a link, but closing it was a pain. If you use a link, be sure to close it all the way ever time!

I did not like the quick link (continuous screwing open and close). Additionally using a tether locker to keep it up was annoying.
I've found this as a better option (to eliminate the quick link)for me in my limited experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im using a separate tether and feed the entire thing through a figure 8 bite. My rappel rope has a rated carabiner on it. For me it’s just quicker and it ain’t gonna break, no way……used to use a link, but closing it was a pain. If you use a link, be sure to close it all the way ever time!
This is what I do as well. I'm using a steel carabiner on my rappel rope.

Back