• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why not accessory cord for lines?

The cord I got at REI is 5 or 6 mm and is 1900 lbs rated.

That seems plenty even with a knot bringing it to 850lbs. Has anyone tested it? Stronger than 7/64th amsteel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you plan on doing with it?

I don’t plan using it at all. I am using Sterling static 8mm. But it seems many are trying to save a few oz here and there.

Seems 7/16 is being used for sticks so I wondered who actually had a failure of any kind with accessory cord. Seems sticks would be more dangerous than a linesman belt.

Climbing and arborist standards are much higher. Both those worlds have way more experience with falls while attached to ropes. I don't think the numbers are that high by chance.

Perhaps more info is required. A linemans belt is used in conjunction with most climbing methods including sticks. What is meant by sticks being more dangerous?

When you say "lines"

Lineman belt?
Tether?
Bridge?
Stick attachment?

All are different requirements.

If you’re tying off directly, and not introducing slack into your system, you may be able to find an accessory cord that would meet what is generally accepted as safe. However, most folks want to use a friction hitch or mechanical device to hang from. This alone can force the user to jump up in rope diameter.

Safety ratings, testing, certification, and generally accepted guidelines for climbing are confusing, complicated, and nuanced. Someone is going to die because they read a post answering someone else who wants a cut and dry answer that applies to all scenarios.

There are smaller diameter ropes than your typical 10-12mm used in tree climbing, that provide acceptable strength ratings. They come with limitations. There’s 5-10 variables minimum that each individual should consider when choosing rope. You’re talking about thousands of scenarios. The short answer is going with 10-12mm removes most of the variables from the equation. If you do math, and are considerate, you can do things differently, safely. If you’re lazy, inconsiderate, impatient, or just don’t want to mess with it, follow the crowd, it’s much safer.

Here is a video which might make you think twice before going too thin. I felt uneasy on Beal 8mm rope and have since climbed on 9mm Sterling HTP. I feel much safer.

If you’re tying off directly, and not introducing slack into your system, you may be able to find an accessory cord that would meet what is generally accepted as safe. However, most folks want to use a friction hitch or mechanical device to hang from. This alone can force the user to jump up in rope diameter.

Safety ratings, testing, certification, and generally accepted guidelines for climbing are confusing, complicated, and nuanced. Someone is going to die because they read a post answering someone else who wants a cut and dry answer that applies to all scenarios.

There are smaller diameter ropes than your typical 10-12mm used in tree climbing, that provide acceptable strength ratings. They come with limitations. There’s 5-10 variables minimum that each individual should consider when choosing rope. You’re talking about thousands of scenarios. The short answer is going with 10-12mm removes most of the variables from the equation. If you do math, and are considerate, you can do things differently, safely. If you’re lazy, inconsiderate, impatient, or just don’t want to mess with it, follow the crowd, it’s much safer.

I appreciate your answer. Well thought out.

As far as cut and dry, not necessary, but still would like to hear any known failures in this community caused by rope.

The above video is making an assumption that every “variable is the same”.

I read many posts here regarding new technology in ropes since the video was made 8 years ago.

Most ratings are legalese

When I purchased my Sterling super static 9.5 at an arborist store, I asked the same question but was given the same legal liability answer which I can respect.

I just tried to make a video using the 6mm accessory rope by trying to pull my 2018 Ram with my ATV but the quality of the sound was terrible. The rope didn’t snap under load of my truck. Just spun my ATV tires

This is the rope I use for Linesman and tether and the prusic is the accessory cord

47d5429a6a56e3f7bb3194684763b2a5.jpg

I read several places where climbing gear has a 10:1 safety factor so your 1955 MBS rope would be good to 195 lbs. You can decide what safety factor you want to use. Some knots have a 50% reduction in strength. I recently broke a 250lb MBS dyneema fishing line attached to a throwball in a tree. The line crossed itself at 90 degrees wrapped around a stick and I pulled. I estimate I pulled about 70 lbs.

one of the other considerations is reduction due to knot strength. Look into knot strengths and you'll learn quickly what you are really dealing with...

The climbing organizations have decided on a MBS of 22kN or 4800 lbs. I guess with knot strength, two or more people on ropes, run over sharp edges, etc., it makes sense to err on the side of too strong.

I appreciate your answer. Well thought out.

As far as cut and dry, not necessary, but still would like to hear any known failures in this community caused by rope.
Most people aren't pushing the frontier. Or they get lucky (or test thoroughly as recommended) and experience their failure in a safe situation.

And as Kyler had mentioned - the limitations of where and how you can "safely" push the bounds by using accessory cords...is largely determined by attachment method. If tieing in directly - that's knot strength. If you're using a friction hitch, it's the strength of the cord you are hitching, PLUS how well it grips. If you're using a device (i.e. ropeman) it's the failure load of that device on that rope.

Assuming your prusik grips well, and is assembled in such a way that you aren't loading up e.g. a single knot on a single strand, the load rating is less than generally recommended for life support, but in excess of what a ropeman gives you. Make of this what you will.

I see groups making iffy calls in 2 different directions. Guys moving away from using ascenders to using ropes, but demanding way more from the rope than they ever did of the ascender (and continuing to use what's likely a weaker solution due to "community acceptance") are definitely out there, but the more dangerous group is those trying to shrink down without really having a handle of the risks and true strengths of their gear.

And also note: as you get to the smaller cord - the most advanced stuff generally has the most pronounced limitations. Knots slip. Fibers fatigue. Etc. You can get a 5mm cord with like a 21KN rating. HOWEVER - 1) *** do you use for a prusik, and do you trust THAT? 2) At least one such cord appears to lose up to 60% of its strength in a fig 8. 3) That same cord lost half its strength in 200 bend cycles (and almost 40% in 50 bending cycles or less). We bend the crap outta our ropes at the same/similar points in many of our applications! Does that stack with the knot loss (and all of a sudden your 21KN awesomecord is a 5KN deathmachine after a hunt or 2?).

Honestly we really need to do quite a bit of controlled and semi-controlled testing. Not just take some fresh cord and try to jerk your ATV. But loading and modest-cycle fatigue tests of the ropes, devices, and knots that we put our lives on the line with. Moving to the smaller than 9mm ropes gets us out of device spec, and moves us toward more and more high-tech (you can often read that as high tradeoff, or "highly steep drop once you hit the limit").

In general - I'll trust climbing-rated nylon/poly ropes to behave predictably and consistently, within the rating given. The tech ropes and cords? I prefer to get specific manufacturer recommendations, or hunt down 3rd party tests of specific products, unless I'm relatively comfortable with assuming it's about half as strong (before knots) as advertised and/or have a plan in place to avoid potential issues (i.e. limit reknotting, cycle through ropes more quickly, etc.).

Honestly we could really use a saddlehunter.com test lab with tensile test, drop-test, and fatigue/bending cycle validation. Especially for those moving away from the (generally reliable) nylon stuff to the latest lighter, smaller, stronger* ropes and cords available today.

My opinion is that it depends on where you plan to use it? To attach sticks ok...to be your means of life support he’ll no. If a stick breaks yeah you may go swinging and get a lil bruised up. If your tether breaks different story.

Just a reminder for folks that if you take a fall on static line that produces the type of force that could break the ropes we are talking about, you’re likely going to be as seriously injured as you would be had you hit the ground. The desire for safety factor is not in case of a serious fall. If you fall more than a foot or two on a static tether, just because your gear can handle the force, does not mean that your body can.

Just a reminder for folks that if you take a fall on static line that produces the type of force that could break the ropes we are talking about, you’re likely going to be as seriously injured as you would be had you hit the ground. The desire for safety factor is not in case of a serious fall. If you fall more than a foot or two on a static tether, just because your gear can handle the force, does not mean that your body can.
At least if your gear holds you only fall once. If it breaks you get to repeat the experience a few milliseconds later.

Back