• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why Nylon?

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I see so many using nylon for sales and DIY projects and I guess I'm wondering why? Most of these safety and climbing harnesses use seat belt material which I believe is polyester? I'm thinking it is just as strong, more flexible, easier to work with, and lighter so I'm wondering why more aren't using it? Please be kind as I'm not an expert and really don't know why.

I think polyester is better in every way. It may be more expensive. One thing I noticed is I had a polyester seat belt strap on an adjustable cobra buckle and it wouldn't hold it well. It's so slick it slips loose. I think nylon works better in friction buckles.

For me, Polyester doesn't seem to come in as many size/color/price options as the nylon webbing does. I was a little concerned at first relying on a nylon strap until I looked up the kilonewton rating. 17.8 is strong enough for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also have lots of color options at strapworks. I just ordered some 1" polyester in digital desert camo.

Strapworks has one of the longest shipping periods. Seems like I've been waiting forever! But they do have a good selection.

I agree, I ordered a week ago and my package won't be here until March.....?

That long economy shipping is also quite inexpensive. I think shipping for my order was around $3, which is almost unheard of outside of Amazon prime.

One of the main differences between Polyester and Nylon is how they interact with water. Nylon absorbs it, Polyester not so much. I prefer polyester for DIY stuff. However, nylon is plenty strong.

I prefer and use seatbelt webbing but its harder to find in the desired colors and sizes.

For some reason, the crazy long one was the ONLY option that wasn't insane. It was like $9 and the next cheapest option was $17, all the way up to $39. For $12 in webbing.....
As far as polyester, I agree that it has no way near as much grip as the nylon. As my grandfather used to say... "It's slicker than snot"

Depending on what your doing polyester is better for friction related applications due to the higher melting temp. Nylon is better for applications wear abrasion is an issue. This is why arborist rope is polyester for use descending on friction hitches.

Back