• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why saddle over hang on

Robbo

Feb 5, 2018
Why did you all choose saddle over hang on for mobile hunting set up

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
For me personally, it was because I could not get a hang on or hand climber back in the swamps I was seeing deer and hogs in. Too bulky, and too heavy.

Added safety and versatility was a bit of a factor, but ultimately it was a matter of physically wearing myself down with a conventional stand vs just strolling through the woods with a saddle on my hips.

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
Comfort - my back killed me when I tired to sit for hours in any hang on. That and saddle is lighter and better suited for scout hunting IMO

Reactions: TreeHopper2023

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
Primary factor for me is reduced bulk and the ergonomics of hauling stuff. I hunt the mountains of central PA and it is thick where the deer live. I am able to fit everything in a high quality backpack frame that even weight being close to equal is about 50x more comfortable than hauling my stand even with molle suspension. And the smaller profile does not snag brush.

Reactions: Guff Dawg

public_land

Sep 13, 2018
North Central Oklahoma
I switched because I can get farther from the road without hauling in a bunch of weight. I plan to get even lighter next year by modifying my climbing method. Ditching the hang on stand did wonders. Hiking in with the weight of a stand on my back or under arm, especially in early season, wore me down enough I sometimes had to convince myself to stay to hunt after hanging it. If successful I would then have to haul even more weight out in venison.
I can also scout and hunt same day easier with a saddle. I have hunted a different location each sit this season, I have never done that before with a hang on due to the energy and effort required to get set up. I have observed deer nearly every sit and successfully harvested a buck and a doe this season from places I have never set foot on, even though I am hunting the same public areas I hunt each year.

To sum up, I feel more mobile and exert less energy by carrying less weight in gear as a result of saddle hunting.

Reactions: Plinker22

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
Less weight but especially less bulk. You can just take it with even if hunting a preset stand, just in case you change your mind. And more flexibility in where you can set up once you're there.

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
the way i look at it, some things it don't matter if you carrying a loc on or a saddle they are required
sticks, rope, lines man, safety harness, API loc on, = 18 lbs?
sticks, rope, saddle = 10 Lbs?

really you are switching your loc on, harness, linesman for a saddle,

my saddle is like 6 lbs lighter than the lightest loc on, linesman, harness, and twice as comfortable.

the choice is clear and easy. IMHO

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
the way i look at it, some things it don't matter if you carrying a loc on or a saddle they are required
sticks, rope, lines man, safety harness, API loc on, = 18 lbs?
sticks, rope, saddle = 10 Lbs?

really you are switching your loc on, harness, linesman for a saddle,

my saddle is like 6 lbs lighter than the lightest loc on, linesman, harness, and twice as comfortable.

the choice is clear and easy. IMHO
Sticks aren't necessary! They're a natural fit to the bulk and form-factor of a hang-on stand - and the benefits of quick/easy use carry over if you use them for a saddle as well - but depending on situation and priority there are many more viable ways up a tree!

Reactions: Buckhole75

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
Started out as an issue with vertigo when sitting in a loc on with nothing around me. Once I got in a saddle I realized I had been a lost soul for many years, lol. I can honestly say that if I had hopped in a saddle at any time in the past, be it one year or 40, I would’ve converted right then and there.

I’m actually a tad bit jealous of those of y’all that are finding saddle hunting at a young age simply because of the amount of time y’all have to enjoy it.

onestringer

SH Member
Aug 28, 2018
Because hanging a stand sucks. I always used my lone wolf climber as my mobile set up, I wanted something that gave me far more options for trees, found the saddle on youtube and went from there.

Reactions: TNSTAAFL

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
Sticks aren't necessary! They're a natural fit to the bulk and form-factor of a hang-on stand - and the benefits of quick/easy use carry over if you use them for a saddle as well - but depending on situation and priority there are many more viable ways up a tree!

Substitute sticks for any climbing method you wish otherwise you sitting on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blt348

Vendor Rep
Jan 20, 2017
Maneuverability
Adaptability
Lightweight
Comfortable
Packability
Efficient
Safe
Quiet
Fun

Reactions: Apex7 and Plinker22

Jasper2

Nov 24, 2014
Indiana
Comfort - my back killed me when I tired to sit for hours in any hang on. That and saddle is lighter and better suited for scout hunting IMO

Amen brother @DaveT1963. The human body evolved to be upright and on our feet for hours, not sit on our butts! I can't sit in a hang on for more than a few minutes....never could. I stand almost the entire time that I'm in a tree stand always have, it's just much easier now that I discovered saddles.

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
Substitute sticks for any climbing method you wish otherwise you sitting on the ground.

Absolutely - and the ability to get rid of bulky, heavy items (like sticks) is a big appeal - with the bulk a bigger deal than the weight. It doesn't make as much impact *or isn't feasible in some cases) to use bolts, stepps, aiders, SRT, spurs, etc. when you're still hauling a 2-3 ft long foot long 1-2ft wide ~10+ pound hunk of metal that the sticks pack pretty naturally to. But after eliminating the stand you have a lot more meaningful choice available.

MFD205

Dec 6, 2017
McComb, MS
More ninjier. It's the Chuck Norris of elevated hunting! And, back hurts from years of shoeing. With saddle, no pains. Just bliss.

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
This is my first year hunting from a saddle and I think it would be easier to tell you the reasons I would choose a hang on over a saddle but I have not found any yet LOL the only downfall of choosing the saddle is paying for one.

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
the only downfall of choosing the saddle is paying for one.
The saddle alone isn't any more than a nice stand, and you only need one...

Climbing methods on the other hand, there's always a better way to spend $$$ checking out.