• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wiggy's Sleeping Bag

Swingin' Free

I'm new to the hammock camping. I'm looking for a sleeping bag for 40f down to 0f. I came across wiggy's site and saw this.

Anyone use them?
Would I be good without the Overbag?

Thanks in advance

Wiggy’s bags are awesome. I’ve used them for years in the military and I like them more than the USGI bags and the North Face bags we were issued. Make sure to hang it up in the off season to preserve the loft and it’ll last forever.

I have had a Wiggy for years I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind with the hammock anything under ur body will be compressed and not offer much insulation...may have to possibly be modified to make an "under quilt"...basically a bag that wraps around the entire hammock like a cocoon....pretty simple with a rectangle sleeping bag but I haven't tried with a mummy and may not be as easy to rig up

Just keep in mind with the hammock anything under ur body will be compressed and not offer much insulation...may have to possibly be modified to make an "under quilt"...basically a bag that wraps around the entire hammock like a cocoon....pretty simple with a rectangle sleeping bag but I haven't tried with a mummy and may not be as easy to rig up

If I already have LW Winterlight under quilt for the hammock from AMOK. Would I need another one to go around the hammock too?
Would the Overbag be considered and under quilt also?
Sorry for the rapid fire questions
I'm trying to make my decision before the "effect" happens

If I already have LW Winterlight under quilt for the hammock from AMOK. Would I need another one to go around the hammock too?
Would the Overbag be considered and under quilt also?
Sorry for the rapid fire questions
I'm trying to make my decision before the "effect" happens
What is the underquilt you have rated for? As for the over quilt, depends on how close the actual temps are going to be to the zero rating on the bag. Keep in mind most or a lot of bags lower temp rating is for survival not comfort. If you expect to be taking the setup down to single digits or lower, I would want the over quilt too. Some folks sleep hot and some dont so that is also a consideration.

It's rated for -18 c.
I ended up buying the bag and overbag. I'll try it out around the yard before I take it into the woods. The zero rating is -40 f with the overbag.
I'm hopeful it'll be enough. I do tend to sleep hot.

It's rated for -18 c.
I ended up buying the bag and overbag. I'll try it out around the yard before I take it into the woods. The zero rating is -40 f with the overbag.
I'm not hunting in any weather that I would ever get cold in that setup. You should be good unless you are hunting polar bears lol.

Wiggy's bags are the best sleeping bags available. There are none better. They are guaranteed for life for nearly anything, even if it should loose it's loft. Wiggy's sleeping bags can be stored in their stuff sack and will not loose their loft. That's why the Navy and Air Force use his products in vaccum sealed containers on all ejection seats on their fighter jets. Any other manufacturers bags would be worthless in a survival situation.
I suggest you call Jerry (he'll probably be the one who answers the phone) and ask him any question about the bags or use.
I have the bag (Super Light) you're looking at and it's awesome.

Last edited:
It's rated for -18 c.
Give us some feedback once you've got some nights in it...:)

I have a 850 down UQ / over quilt. where they fail is windy conditions. with a proper tarp that "tents" well (mine has doors on the ends, goes to the ground) and blocks the wind, the rated temps work. without a tarp my hammock sleeps very cold. works the same with a sleeping bag which will sleep colder than rated. 0 degree might be good to 25-30 degrees.

Modern quilt and sleeping bag manufacturers typically provide a "comfort rating" and a "survival rating" that accounts for cold. I have a 0 degree 800 fill down bag that I sleep in a hammock with a very light weight homemade underquilt. It is easily comfortable down to its rated temps. The underquilt itself I would only rate down to 40F but it only takes a little bit to accommodate the compression of a bag and be a wind break. A simple tarp overhead that is fairly close to the hammock and you'll stay plenty warm.

can't help with the hammock questions, but long time wiggy's user here, nothing but props for their products and service.

Let us know how it works out. I have been hammock camping for about 15 years and I use top quilts instead of sleeping bags because of the compression as mentioned above. I really like Underground Quilts stuff.

Back