• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge amsteel slip knot

I didn’t even step on it too see. I don’t see why not. That’s how I use to tie the stepp knot on my xop platform. Never had any slippage with it.

Cool. I’m just so used to pulling to rope all the way through just seems weird lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thining about switching to amsteel on my Stepps too. I see you used 1/4th but do y’all think 7/64 would work too? It’s tensile strength is 1,600 lbs but my thought is the ease of tying and untying with a smaller diameter

I’m thining about switching to amsteel on my Stepps too. I see you used 1/4th but do y’all think 7/64 would work too? It’s tensile strength is 1,600 lbs but my thought is the ease of tying and untying with a smaller diameter
My biggest concern would be the little tweaks in rope length with the smaller diameter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’m sure it will work. Just remember amsteel isn’t very abrasive resistant so always inspect your rope. I think a larger diameter would be easier to untie.

@swampsnyper how have you found amsteel working for you after a season? Was playing around with 1/8" amsteel today but the knot wants to slip when camming over. Any slippage with 1/4"?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I switched to amsteel this yr, works great. Mine are a bit short, didn't plan well. I'll make new ones longer and try your slip knot.

I have been using 1/4" Amsteel on my steps for years with zero problems. I do not think there is any advantage to using a smaller size Amsteel.

I have been using 1/4" Amsteel on my steps for years with zero problems. I do not think there is any advantage to using a smaller size Amsteel.
My thought with using 1/8" was just to reduce bulk. But it appears there is not enough bulk there to grip in the knot. Will look into 1/4".

@swampsnyper how have you found amsteel working for you after a season? Was playing around with 1/8" amsteel today but the knot wants to slip when camming over. Any slippage with 1/4"?

I haven’t had a season. Been building a house. Used on a week bear hunt this summer and worked fine.

Back