• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge and aider( beat to death, i know)

lpv77

I don't see much talk about doing this? Why, is it difficult to remove and move to another step?

Attachments

• 20180919_155030-680x1613.jpg
    20180919_155030-680x1613.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 281
Why would you use a stepp and aider when you have a perfectly good climbing stick right next to it??? :p

I believe @BassBoysLLP was attaching a 5-step aider to his stepps for a while except that he was attaching onto the 'V' on the stepp. Maybe he can chime in on his experience...

I rigged up a 3 step aider method like this so I could get to almost 20’ with 3 steps. However, the squatting super low on the Step to unhook the carabiner (or hook it back down) was tough for me in shorts and a T-shirt so I’m sure it’s tougher with winter hunting clothes. It’s worth taking an extra 3 steps and doing the Caine method in my opinion.. the lightweight of it makes me wanna keep tinkering tho

I rigged up a 3 step aider method like this so I could get to almost 20’ with 3 steps. However, the squatting super low on the Step to unhook the carabiner (or hook it back down) was tough for me in shorts and a T-shirt so I’m sure it’s tougher with winter hunting clothes. It’s worth taking an extra 3 steps and doing the Caine method in my opinion.. the lightweight of it makes me wanna keep tinkering tho
Maybe this and a naider combo

Kyhunter I think if you try the knaider it will allow you to grab the carabiner much easier. I was actually thinking of doing the 3 step aider and knaider combo to see if I like it better than the knaider/Swaider

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Why would you use a stepp and aider when you have a perfectly good climbing stick right next to it???

I believe @BassBoysLLP was attaching a 5-step aider to his stepps for a while except that he was attaching onto the 'V' on the stepp. Maybe he can chime in on his experience...
Correct. I use to do it exactly that way. I could climb over 40 feet with six stepps.

I've since moved to knaider with a double swaider if I need those gains...which is rare. It's easier to climb with the double swaider and the aiders are modular. Use the ones you need on any even given day. I only carry 5 stepps. This gets me over 35 feet if I want to or comfortable to 20 feet with less space and aider between steps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@lpv77 @Homebrew454
I may look into a swaider/knaider but using just a knaider gets you to the same height as the Caine method except you have to have a knaider, whereas the Caine method doesn’t have the extra equipment requirement

@lpv77 @Homebrew454
I may look into a swaider/knaider but using just a knaider gets you to the same height as the Caine method except you have to have a knaider, whereas the Caine method doesn’t have the extra equipment requirement
I hunt pines often, Cain may be to noisey

So guys i thought i would chime in here but wildedge sells an aider. What i am doing is taking the hook portion of it and removing the gate. On weight is placed on it it will function just like the knaider and it can’t slip off. I have larksheaded my aider to the bottom of the hook in the “o” portion or eye for lack of a better term.

Now with the gate removed do like the swaider and attach a piece of shock cord or 550 cord to the hook and run it to your saddle.

When you climb up you just grab the cord and pull the hook and aider to the next step. No worries now in regards to dropping it or have to awkwardly bend down to grab it!!

For those concerned with removing the gate im currently working on something for that to where with the pull of the rope the tension releases the gate of the hook carabiner and allows you to pull it up. Its not perfected yet so im holding back!!

Sorry for not not explaining my thought better. I was recommending using the knaider to assist you in getting the carabiner out from your 5 step aider.

You would use the 5 step aider as you currently do. When you get to the top, place the knaider onto the step to remove the 5 step aider. It would allow you to not crouch down to remove it like you currently do. Plus the knaider is pretty stable.

Sorry for not not explaining my thought better. I was recommending using the knaider to assist you in getting the carabiner out from your 5 step aider.

You would use the 5 step aider as you currently do. When you get to the top, place the knaider onto the step to remove the 5 step aider. It would allow you to not crouch down to remove it like you currently do. Plus the knaider is pretty stable.

My exact thought as well.

So guys i thought i would chime in here but wildedge sells an aider. What i am doing is taking the hook portion of it and removing the gate. On weight is placed on it it will function just like the knaider and it can’t slip off. I have larksheaded my aider to the bottom of the hook in the “o” portion or eye for lack of a better term.

Now with the gate removed do like the swaider and attach a piece of shock cord or 550 cord to the hook and run it to your saddle.

When you climb up you just grab the cord and pull the hook and aider to the next step. No worries now in regards to dropping it or have to awkwardly bend down to grab it!!

I was thinking of doing it this way.

I played with this last night. I used a pretty long 3-step aider that I made two years ago and used a carabiner to attach it to my stepp set at about 6.5'. I then used the aider to climb up 2 steps and used the knaider for my 3rd step. Once my weight was on the knaider, i removed the aider from the stepp and stepped up onto the stepp. It worked very well on a straight tree.

I also tried it on a leaning tree and had some trouble. I've been using aiders on climbing sticks for a few years now and leaning trees are always more difficult - this particular tree was probably leaning more than I would usually go for in a hunting situation. The longer your aider is on a leaning tree, the more difficult it is keep your toe on the tree. So I feel like the swaider would have made this leaning tree a bit easier to climb because the swaider is shorter than my 3-step aider but I'm not sure I'd ever pick a tree that leans so much....

Bottom line, I was able to gain an extra 1.5' per stepp by using an aider/knaider combo instead of the swaider/knaider combo. The swaider is a bit easier to use because it's shorter, you don't have to fish for the step since it's attached to your foot and you don't have to worry about carrying it up the tree since it is attached to your belt. But it basically means you have to carry one extra stepp to get to the same height using the swaider/knaider. Pros and cons to each method....

Ok so i haven’t attached the rope to pull the hook up yet but im removing the wire gate today. Ill run the rope from the eye of this hook which i have girth hitched my aider too to my saddle via a nite ize biner. That will allow me to pull the aider up without bending and when i need to place it to climb down i can lower it over the bar in place.

This is the highest i can reach pictured and secure this step which is 6’11”. Comfortably with linemans belt attached im at 6’9” (not pictured) on the second step when i tested. 3 steps over 20ft no problem!! Add a platform and ill be between 22-24ft!! Plenty high in my opinion! When at hunting height pull the aider up and store until climbing down. Also i will be dying this aider this weekend to a darker shade!

73D57FAD-48A2-419D-9AA1-B5A35999C636.jpegD9E2FBD3-379D-41FA-BC6E-F6091B0EDF4D.jpeg

Back