• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Platform stability DIY

Readycookedbacon

I’ve been enjoying the WEI platform (gen 1), but if I turn around on it, to face away from the tree it obviously comes out from under the step ( as it was designed to).
I’ve been thinking about if there was a way to semi-permanently affix it, so I could put pressure anywhere I wanted on it for any angle.
This isn’t just out of theory, twice last season I needed to completely turn around to make a shot, and my heels kept dropping the platform off the step, and made it all but impossible to make that shot at my 3 o clock weak side.
Normally I would have just swung towards that side and kept turning until I had the angle, but the deer would have pegged me.

Just to be a little more clear, what I’m wondering is if there’s a way anyone has tried to keep the platform fixed to the step, just so it can’t move or pop out?

Can you wrap something around the step and perch to hold it better? Or maybe take it somewhere to have the step and perch welded? I have steps and a perch coming. So I'm interested in some ideas myself.

Can you wrap something around the step and perch to hold it better? Or maybe take it somewhere to have the step and perch welded? I have steps and a perch coming. So I'm interested in some ideas myself.
So from what I understand, because the perch is metal, and the steps are aluminum, you cant weld.
Also I'd like it to be removable, easier to pack.
It sounds crazy, but I swear two thick zipties in a certain spot might work.
I'll try it out this weekend and post pics.

So from what I understand, because the perch is metal, and the steps are aluminum, you cant weld.
Also I'd like it to be removable, easier to pack.
It sounds crazy, but I swear two thick zipties in a certain spot might work.
I'll try it out this weekend and post pics.

That’s what I did for the short time I had the perch and steps. I placed two large zip ties to hold the perch and step together.

Ok so got around to trying, zip ties are the way to go. Easy to put on, cheap, easy to take off.
The Nite eyes gear tie wasn’t as stable, and also lights up like a homing beacon under UV light, if you care about that.

I also throw a single ratchet strap in pack for those trees that just won’t let your step get super snug. That’s hockey tape on my step, need to put a fresh wrap before the season starts, it helps quiet any areas where there is metal on metal contact, but I’m sure most of you know

Attachments

• FE907000-879D-4FF1-B988-0626E81C9BF4.jpeg
    FE907000-879D-4FF1-B988-0626E81C9BF4.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 76
  • CB911A55-628D-4687-9412-DE0A0AFB93C9.jpeg
    CB911A55-628D-4687-9412-DE0A0AFB93C9.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 79
You can do a few layers of vet tape on the step where the perch tab connects and also add some stealth strips on those tabs. Makes it rock solid.

You would think, if it was a sufficient enough flaw that it required a redesign.....they would offer Gen1 owners a resolution. It would be great, if they would at least let you trade your Gen1 Perch in for a discount on the Gen2 or at the very least offer up a low cost add-on bracket. If the WEI Perch was a $40 platform, I could chalk it up as a loss, but it was as much as any of the other major platforms. I contacted them for a solution and they offered none. I asked them if they could at least give me the numbers on that aluminum alloy, so I could add metal wings like the Gen2. They said they would get back to me. A week or so later I received a generic HR type response " We cannot give you the info you requested and it is our stance that you should not modify any equipment purchased from us". So... that's it huh?!?

-To be clear, I don't think every time a product is revised or improved, that everyone who owned one should get a the newest version. But, if a product is redesigned due to a design flaw that can cause it to fail or not work as intended.... that is a different scenario, especially if it can fail and someone could potentially be harmed. They could at least put out a "service bulletin" if not a full "recall".
{Clearly I'm still butt hurt over it}:tearsofjoy::laughing:

Yeah not ideal, I hear you about that.
This mod actually has more to do with a problem that would still happen with the Gen 2. When I turn around on the platform to face away from the tree, the weight shifts to my heels and makes the platform pop out from under the step.
Honestly once I added that hockey tape to the area where the metal touches I have not had any issues that would be fixed with the Gen 2.

When I originally emailed them, I had only had it kick out coming back from another side step and putting a side load on the outer corner. Of course I had the normal stepp issues: constantly flexing and shifting. But, I only recently experienced what you are explaining. I just put it up a couple feet off the ground so I could play with my new harness and was trying to see where I could actually comfortably shoot from. Of course I had my bridge much longer than I would normally wear it and I doubt I would ever turn all the around leaning out as far as I did (I tend to be pretty conservative about taking a shot, plus I've never really had a nice harness that would allow me to do that) but when it moves... it does have some pucker factor, since you expect it stay put! That's when I finally just gave up on using the Perch at all. I have considered drilling up a bracket that screws them together permanently, but I don't really want give up a stepp to do it. Maybe I will try the tape and zip tie thing...…. but still, that kinda sucks to pay that much $$$ and then need to add tape and zip ties just to make it safe.

I think the WE steps themselves are one big design flaw. I tried a couple last year and one flipped when I was descending and almost fell out of the tree. threw them out

Back