• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge rope sabotaged

UMICH1

I have a set stand that has been up all year. Second year using the steps. Climbing in this morning and hooked my Knaider into 3rd step (bout 10 ft up) and snap. Rope broke. Luckily I was grabbing next step and had linesman belt on. Not sure if a squirrel chewed through it or what. Always wear that linesman belt. More pissed now than anything. But thankful it wasn’t worse.

Here’s the break

Attachments

• 5F438E7D-6CCA-469D-BDBE-CACC84CC3611.jpeg
    5F438E7D-6CCA-469D-BDBE-CACC84CC3611.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 234
Uff! Glad you’re safe!

Did it break somewhere in the middle?

I would contact Wild Edge and ask for advice. Only because I have heard they leave stepps out for years without issue. That rope seems pretty sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you are ok. Might be a good idea to carry a piece of Amsteel with a loop in the pack for days like that.

I dont have any experience with rope breaking, maybe one of our members here has done some testing and seen breaks and can shed some light on this. I find it odd it broke so cleanly like that, maybe someone sabotaged it.

Thanks fellas. I’m back in the tree as I’m typing. **** happens and nothing manufactured is foolproof. Squirrel...bad rope...who knows. That’s why we take those extra steps to ensure safety. I’m going to contact Wild Edge just to let them know.

I dont have any experience with rope breaking, maybe one of our members here has done some testing and seen breaks and can shed some light on this. I find it odd it broke so cleanly like that, maybe someone sabotaged it.

That did cross my mind.

I agree with this.

More I look at it I’m thinking same thing. What kind of trash would do that. Damn. There are some kids in woods behind me. But odd nothing was stolen.

More I look at it I’m thinking same thing. What kind of trash would do that. Damn. There are some kids in woods behind me. But odd nothing was stolen.
Kids can be punks. Public land or private?

Wow! Glad you're okay.

That clean break is sketchy, sketchy, sketchy. May want to check the rest of your steps and equipment if you have more left out there. I don't think there's any way an uncompromised rope breaks THAT clean.

Wow! Glad you're okay.

That clean break is sketchy, sketchy, sketchy. May want to check the rest of your steps and equipment if you have more left out there. I don't think there's any way an uncompromised rope breaks THAT clean.
I agree. That’s too clean a break

Back