• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Step Knot with a Loop

Peterk1234

So, this is the crap that I start to think about, then cannot fall asleep at night.

I have been reading some threads about some of you using Amsteel for your steps. I am not sure what the advantage is yet, and I am posing the question to you guys that have made the mod. Weight is not an issue for me since the current rope is fairly light. I also have a bag that holds ten steps, and all I need is four steps to get to 22 feet, plus one extra step in there for just in case. So room in the bag is not a major issue (I have to admit that the stiff rope does take on a life of its own). I am curious if you guys are getting a quicker/firmer set or if it is just much quieter and easy to work with when climbing. Well, then there is the coolness factor of using Amsteel :)

Anyway, I wanted to still have the easy method of tying, but with the advantage of an easy to untie loop, just in case I switch over. You guys probably are already doing this, but for some reason many of you have an aversion to putting up vids for the rest of us (just kidding). So I came up with this. I gotta say, I like it. Even if I don't switch over it does a couple of things. First, it is a whiz to untie, and I think it actually makes it easier to adjust the tension when trying to set the step. Second, it really tidies up the excess rope on smaller trees. Less of an issue of the rope flailing around when it is breezy. Pete

e1075087482bfce57b94f348828bd73a.jpg
ive been using this knot with with a variety of ropes. Stupid easy with this notch dryad cabling

The only thing I need to change that I noticed after hunting with them is having the camo form where I tie the knot. The camo form is spongy and grips the rope after standing on them, really tightening them down. The knot still comes untied easy but you can’t just pull the step away and the slack unravels free as you pull with the camo form on there.

Back