• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge step size?

HunterDaddy

I’m so close to pulling the trigger on a set steps it’s not funny. I plan on climbing using a red aider or the Cain method. Haven’t quite worked that out yet, but either will require two feet on the step.

My only hesitation is the size of the step and my big size 13 hunting boots. What is the depth of the step from the tree and should I be concerned with slipping with larger boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not tried the Cain method. I have an aider on order. Still getting comfortable down low I just hit my Kestrel

Another vote for Cain method at the short spacing. Mainly the muscle up part. It's easier than it looks. When I played with it I preferred tethering to the tree over clipping to the high stepp and didn't use a riggers belt, but climbing movement is money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another vote for Cain method at the short spacing. Mainly the muscle up part. It's easier than it looks. When I played with it I preferred tethering to the tree over clipping to the high stepp and didn't use a riggers belt, but climbing movement is money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I also preferred hitching to the tree and draping my tether over the step rather than attaching directly to it. I also found that if I shortened my tether as much as I could after setting it, when I sat back in the saddle I could essentially walk right up the tree to get my foot on the next step. As you push away from the tree with your foot the tether arcs upward lifting you toward the next step. Then I just had to pull myself upright with my arms. Not much "muscling up" required.

I wear size 12/13 boots. The stepps are plenty big for me. I haven’t tried the Cain method. I use the aider going up and do similar to the Cain method on the way down.

Back