• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Step with rope Cams

CptFrank

Well i thought i had found the best way to secure WE Steps but alas, I'm a little disappointed. I was looking to find a method to secure my WE steps using a rope jam when i stumbled into the two Nite Ize products (camjam rope jam and figure 9). These two methods do work as i was able to get a solid cam over and stand on ( at ground level) it without any slipping, but the fiddle factor was just about the same as with the original ropes & knot. Combine that with the fact that metal on metal could make some noise and the mechanical component could break (worth noting that i was using a modified Cain Method so i was always tethered to the tree, I wouldn't try to use these clips with only a linemans belt to secure me off to the tree), and i'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze here.

I still would be open to finding another method to jam a rope so if this gets the gears turning for anyone please let me know. thanks.

Attachments

• Nite Ize Cam Jam WE Steps.PNG
    Nite Ize Cam Jam WE Steps.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • Nite Ize Figure 9 overhead.PNG
    Nite Ize Figure 9 overhead.PNG
    390.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Nite Ize figure 9 WE Step.PNG
    Nite Ize figure 9 WE Step.PNG
    606 KB · Views: 106
No way would I trust non-climbing hardware (such as Nite Ize) for something like that.
No i wouldn't trust these either as is, which is why i stayed tethered off just to stand on the at basically ground level, but i do still wonder if there wouldn't be a better way to use a rope jam on the kind of steps without relying on a Nite Ize carabiner.

Try the climbing stick strap method? Works very well, not a lot of fiddle. Dunno that I prefer it to the ropes but it is a good option.

No i wouldn't trust these either as is, which is why i stayed tethered off just to stand on the at basically ground level, but i do still wonder if there wouldn't be a better way to use a rope jam on the kind of steps without relying on a Nite Ize carabiner.

Soft shacklet on the end of a prusick knot used for tightening?

Personally, I would stick to the standard method.

Soft shacklet on the end of a prusick knot used for tightening?

Personally, I would stick to the standard method.
The soft shackle is an interesting thought.
Yeah the standard method is probably the best bet but i dont like that it still takes an adjustment or two to get it cammed right. My thinking was if i could find something the locked in to the right tension more consistently it would solve that problem but at this point it sorta feels like reinventing the wheel lol.

The soft shackle is an interesting thought.
Yeah the standard method is probably the best bet but i dont like that it still takes an adjustment or two to get it cammed right. My thinking was if i could find something the locked in to the right tension more consistently it would solve that problem but at this point it sorta feels like reinventing the wheel lol.

I've not used Wild Edge steps, but is part of this a function of getting some initial stretch out of the rope?

I've not used Wild Edge steps, but is part of this a function of getting some initial stretch out of the rope?
I dont think so since i bought my steps used. If anything i think its a function of experience with them but (probably sparked from my sailing days) i cant help thinking that pulling the rope tight or almost tight, jamming it in place, then caming the step over would be quicker than the knot. Something like the pic below would be ideal but i can figure out how to attach it to the step which is why those carbiners were worth a shot

Attachments

• rope jam.PNG
    rope jam.PNG
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
Ditch the steps and get a single stick. The WE steps are never going to be able to get you to the same height as a single stick without adding more gear/weight. That and add in the frustration of trying to get them to cam over correctly, I’ll never go back to the WE stepps.

Back