• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge SteppLadder on Pine Trees

jmbknvc

Most of the information about the steps, it looks like most people are using the Wild Edge SteppLadder on hardwoods. Has anyone used them on pine trees and if so was there any issues? I am wonder due to the softer bark that breaks off. I remember that from using a climber in the past.

Will look back on their website for information also.

I’ve only fooled with them a little in my yard, and it was on pines. Every now and then, I noticed I would cam it, bark would break a little, so I would un cam it and slide up just a hair and cam again and it’s good. Yeah the bark and sap will get up inside the tubes of the standoffs, but I’m probably gonna fill them with Great Stuff to see if that helps stop it from going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they the steps get sticky, best bet is to use a little mineral spirits to take it off. Ropes are a challenge. It gets even worse when climbing trees with pitch shallow pitch blisters like balsam fir.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’ve only fooled with them a little in my yard, and it was on pines. Every now and then, I noticed I would cam it, bark would break a little, so I would un cam it and slide up just a hair and cam again and it’s good. Yeah the bark and sap will get up inside the tubes of the standoffs, but I’m probably gonna fill them with Great Stuff to see if that helps stop it from going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes!! The ole double cam is pretty much SOP for me. Even on hardbarked trees it helps with a rock solid cam. The first cam over stretches and tightens the knot a bit.

I had issues with softer trees as well. There are past convos about too so you are not alone. It takes practice to get the hang of it. I wound up getting Hawks though because too many times I was stepping on it and it would slide down. On the same practice trees in my yard the hawk helium sticks had zero issues

I want to stress that climbing with stepps is a lot like saddle hunting. It's going to take more time than you think to get used to, but the benefits are huge if you stick it out. My first several climbs with the stepps were not fun, but neither was my first hunt in a trophyline! Now that I'm used to them, I can hunt any tree that I could with sticks. Set-up time is very similar, and you simply cannot beat the packability. A properly set step WILL NOT budge. Even on a soft tree.

I climb pines no problem. Heck, that's all we have in some places. International Paper don't plant no oak trees!

They will make the bark come off sometimes, and it's a little trickier to get a good cam, but it's absolutely doable.

Thanks for the info. Potlatch thinks hardwood is a dirty word also, and understand.

If they the steps get sticky, best bet is to use a little mineral spirits to take it off. Ropes are a challenge. It gets even worse when climbing trees with pitch shallow pitch blisters like balsam fir.

Will have to remember that tip, thanks.

I want to stress that climbing with stepps is a lot like saddle hunting. It's going to take more time than you think to get used to, but the benefits are huge if you stick it out. My first several climbs with the stepps were not fun, but neither was my first hunt in a trophyline! Now that I'm used to them, I can hunt any tree that I could with sticks. Set-up time is very similar, and you simply cannot beat the packability. A properly set step WILL NOT budge. Even on a soft tree.

Understand about the learning curve, and hopefully by the end of the season I will have it down. When steps come in the practice will begin.

Last edited:
Not to distract from the original question. ......does low expansion foam work well for quieting the stepps somewhat? Thought about trying that on mine.

Not to distract from the original question. ......does low expansion foam work well for quieting the stepps somewhat? Thought about trying that on mine.
Some folks have done that. @BassBoysLLP puts foam ear plugs in the end of his. I wrapped the v on mine tightly with vet wrap, and that was good enough for me. I am deadly quiet with mine.

Yes. However, I just add a cheap ear plug to holes. The foam works. It's just messy and adds a bit more weight.

X2 on wrapping them with camo form, stealth strips, or vet tape. Ebay is your friend for camo form. You can pick it up for less than 3 dollars a roll. If I had to choose to do one thing, it would be to wrap them.

X2 on wrapping them with camo form, stealth strips, or vet tape. Ebay is your friend for camo form. You can pick it up for less than 3 dollars a roll. If I had to choose to do one thing, it would be to wrap them.

What exactly does the tape do? Just quiet them down?

What exactly does the tape do? Just quiet them down?
Yes. Just like climbing sticks. Both are very quiet if you're careful. Tape and foam is the insurance policy.

Back