• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Steppladder

hoyt31786

New to saddle hunting looking for reviews on wild edge steps with a 5 step aider methods? Also anyone selling any wild edge stepladders looking for 4 to use with 5 step aider system thanks!

Welcome! I use the Primal steps which are basically the same thing. Spend some time using the search feature here on the site and you’ll be amazed at what all info/reviews you’ll find.

I love my Primal steps and their packability!

New to saddle hunting looking for reviews on wild edge steps with a 5 step aider methods? Also anyone selling any wild edge stepladders looking for 4 to use with 5 step aider system thanks!
I would either order a set of eight or try a five step aider first. If you don’t like using the aider you can’t do much with four steps. It’s a viable option for a really lightweight climbing system. There are a couple videos on here showing it.

I would either order a set of eight or try a five step aider first. If you don’t like using the aider you can’t do much with four steps. It’s a viable option for a really lightweight climbing system. There are a couple videos on here showing it.
Thanks Eric would you happen to know how high u can get with 8 no aider?

Welcome! I use the Primal steps which are basically the same thing. Spend some time using the search feature here on the site and you’ll be amazed at what all info/reviews you’ll find.

I love my Primal steps and their packability!
Thanks where do you find the primal steps at wild edge are backordered ive already waited 3 months for saddle and still dont have it lol :(

How limber are you? Standard spacing in the hunting world is 18", so that gets you 12 ft with 8 stepps. If you can do 2ft spacing, then 16 ft. Don't know anyone that can do more than 2ft in a hunting scenario.

I’m no spring chicken but I’m not ancient , I’m using the Primal steps with 5 step aider. I get 6ft per step and use my 4th step as my platform (with insert). I set it 2ft above 3rd step. Gives me 20 feet with less than 5lbs of climb gear

I started with a wild edge adjustable aider. It’s a single step adjustable aider. You could make a fixed length aider out of tubular webbing and it would work almost the same. Using that setup I get 3.5 feet per step easy and four feet per step If I really need to. It’s still using an aider but it’s attached to a step above the one you’re climbing to. Since you already have a step above the one your climbing to you have a firm handhold to help balance yourself and help pull yourself up if you need it. So 28 feet easy and 30+if I really want it. Having that step above to hold onto is a huge advantage as far as safety goes. Then as you get better at getting them solid on the tree you can consider a five step. The disadvantages of using a five step are the amount of time spend and movement made while in your aider. I usually move my linesmans belt up two to three times while standing in the aider. That’s when your foot is likely to kick out as you are shifting your weight around moving the rope up. Also check out the Cain method. You could probably get 3.5 feet per step without an aider by just walking up the tree. Either way they are definitely a good option. If you used three at the top as a ring of steps they are the best value in saddle hunting. That was my setup in 2017. I used a set of eight with their aider 6 up and one on each side of it always got me over 20’. There were a few times I wished I had a set of 10 but not often.

WE steps are awesome. The 5 step aider system is a legit climbing method. takes some practice. but it's solid. I use a knaider/swaider, and 4 steps get me to 19 feet, plus 2 feet to the platform= 21 feet. When I was practicing the 5 step aider tech. I could get about 19-20 feet with 3 steps, and two more feet to the platform=21-22 feet. Both methods require some practice, I prefer the knaider/swaider because your aiders are on your feet, no fishing around, and I feel it's easier to tie the WE step on quicker and quieter with it at eye level as opposed to at arms length over my head.

Thanks alot guys! When it comes to climbing trees id say im really agile. Its great to hear everyones perspective i do have the climbing stick method which im ised to but i really see the benefits of cutting that weight way down ! Ive watched several youtube videos on the aiders and looks awesome def something i think i could do! Just hard to find the wild edge steps!

@hoyt31786 I got my set of 10 for about $60 bucks from a guy off Ebay about a year ago. In terms of height, I use 6 steps and get over 20’ using the “Cain” methof climbing. I experimented with a 3 step aider some and think I’ll be going to that from now on.

Back