• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepps for Climbing AND Platform

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
I’ve searched numerous posts, but unable to find specific input on folks using WE steps to climb and as a platform. My plan is to use 3 or 4 with a 5 step aider as I’ve seen videos of, and use one or two as a platform.
Is the transition as smooth as I think it will be as in just using the top step (3rd or 4th) as the platform? Are they comfortable to use as the platform? Do you use one or two? Any modifications? Etc. thank you in advance!

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
That should work. I prefer 2-3 steps for the platform depending on the size of the tree. I have them spaced so I straddle the tree if I sit. I lean almost the entire time in the stand and put my left foot on the left step and the right foot on the step on the right side of the tree.

On larger trees I put 1 step in front (6'oclock) position while looking at the tree. Then a step on each side of the tree. The side steps I like about 2-3 inches higher than the front step. It is hard to get 3 steps at the same level.

I find them to be very comfortable as I lean for about 55 minutes per every hour on the stand. I didn't do any modifications to the steps other than camo paint.

Just practice setting them and climbing. Takes a bit to get the "feel" down on the cam action. Easiest to experiment to see what you like.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kurt and Abishai

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
That should work. I prefer 2-3 steps for the platform depending on the size of the tree. I have them spaced so I straddle the tree if I sit. I lean almost the entire time in the stand and put my left foot on the left step and the right foot on the step on the right side of the tree.

On larger trees I put 1 step in front (6'oclock) position while looking at the tree. Then a step on each side of the tree. The side steps I like about 2-3 inches higher than the front step. It is hard to get 3 steps at the same level.

I find them to be very comfortable as I lean for about 55 minutes per every hour on the stand. I didn't do any modifications to the steps other than camo paint.

Just practice setting them and climbing. Takes a bit to get the "feel" down on the cam action. Easiest to experiment to see what you like.

Hope this helps.

That makes sense! I typically won’t hunt a really large tree so I’m hoping two will be fine. I also lean most of the time as well. I have the predator platform and really like it, but if I can carry just one more WE step (which would make 4/5) and the fact it will stack well, it would be super nice just to use them as both!

Cript2014

Nov 27, 2018
Upstate South Carolina
I’ve been using 4 to get up then having another three as the platform so I carry 7 but I can get in any angle I need and be very steady wile making the shot

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
@Peterk1234 that looks good! Really sets those steps tight! How often do you find yourself needing those 2 ameristeps?

@Homebrew454 the way I understand it, you are kind of leap frogging the steps. My thoughts right now are to place a step high as is comfortable, hook on the aider (string attached from aider hook to my saddle to allow me to pull it up and also not drop it), climb up, stand on the first step and repeat that process. My hopes are my third step is one step of my platform, so I’ll set it a hair left and the second one a hair right to get them centered and climb up. I may I mend up using a couple ameristeps or something in addition like @Peterk1234 used, but not initially. 4-6 lbs for climbing and platform for something solid like the WE is phenomenal!

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
I’ve been using 4 to get up then having another three as the platform so I carry 7 but I can get in any angle I need and be very steady wile making the shot

How is it climbing leaning trees with the aider? I hope I can carry just two for platorm, but may have to do something more.

Cript2014

Nov 27, 2018
Upstate South Carolina
How is it climbing leaning trees with the aider? I hope I can carry just two for platorm, but may have to do something more.
I’ve climbed one leaning tree and I’m not gonna lie it was a little sketchy but that’s probably because we’ve gotten so much rain here like every day it has rained so I’m worried about how the trees hold when I’m leaning off them especially at the angle needed for a leaning tree but other than that great I just went past the curve part posed up after it went back up and had a really nice hunt

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I prefer three as a platform. Two is ok with a rifle in your hands. Three is more comfortable and gives you more shooting options with a bow. I started with 8 stepps. With the wild edge aider that would give me 20-24 feet at platform height using three for a platform. Using a five step aider I could get that high and use three as a platform with 5-6 stepps including platform. While the five step aider used in conjunction with the stepps is a little faster and a little lighter than other options I wouldn’t want it to be my primary climbing system. However you decide to climb plan on using three as a platform. Then if you decide to put a step in just below a large limb or fork in the tree you need to climb above you will still have two for a platform. I also personally wouldn’t want to be learning how to use wild edge stepps and using five step aiders at the same rime

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
It is similar to doing a single stick climb but with WE steps. In theory, it should reduce the number of steps I need. I am also hopeful that my 3rd step would be at platform height. I would also only have to carry 4 steps maximum to hunt at 21 feet. 5 steps would put me at 28 feet.

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
I agree with Eric that 3 steps is probably easier to get around the tree for shooting while bowhunting. It is really thick where I hunt and I don't have a lot of shooting lanes (I hunt a lot of thicker old growth clear-cuts) 2 steps properly spaced is good enough for me about 60% of the time. I think the squirrel step/Ameristeps will help the other 40% of the time.

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
I prefer three as a platform. Two is ok with a rifle in your hands. Three is more comfortable and gives you more shooting options with a bow. I started with 8 stepps. With the wild edge aider that would give me 20-24 feet at platform height using three for a platform. Using a five step aider I could get that high and use three as a platform with 5-6 stepps including platform. While the five step aider used in conjunction with the stepps is a little faster and a little lighter than other options I wouldn’t want it to be my primary climbing system. However you decide to climb plan on using three as a platform. Then if you decide to put a step in just below a large limb or fork in the tree you need to climb above you will still have two for a platform. I also personally wouldn’t want to be learning how to use wild edge stepps and using five step aiders at the same rime

I’ve got 5 ordered and plan on carrying them all each time so I should be able to do just that. Not sure they will come in before season ends so I’ll have the “offseason” to get familiar with it all. Also hope to do quite a bit of hog hunting in the down time, so I’m looking forward to it! Thanks for the input!

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
@Homebrew454 Thanks! Sounds like we will be similar in our set ups! It gets thick in places here as wel, but we’ll see what feels best when I get used to them!

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
I like wild edge steps, but don't use them as my main. Be careful with the longer aiders, I've never been comfortable with them even after lots of practice and have heard a lot of guys talk about swinging. Plus, leaning and "branchy" trees are a different story than nice and straight ones.

6 and a knaider will get me right at 20ft for 6lbs and I use 2 at the top as a platform. I have a set of 10 and usually carry 8. Not a bad compromise at all. The knaider is faster and simpler, and I've never felt like it would swing on me due to its short length.

If you're new to this, I would try just the knaider first. As far as comfort, I find them nice due to all the surface room. I don't think they need any mods; they're pretty friggin' genious as-is. Only thing i did to mine was wrap the v section in vet wrap to reduce noise.

Reactions: OakFlats273

Peterk1234

Oct 23, 2017
Massachusetts
@Peterk1234 that looks good! Really sets those steps tight! How often do you find yourself needing those 2 ameristeps?

Not too often, but every once in a while I have to reposition the tether, which moves my neutral resting place and I end up using one of them. They end up about an inch or two below the steps, something I will try to tweak during the off season. However, I have yet to have an issue with it. Pete

Reactions: OakFlats273

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
I like 3 for a platform. I have to say I think I have my method for getting the stepps level down. It has to do with how you thread the ropes. I picked it up from one of Peter’s videos where he notes that WE does it this way.

I like stepps at 2, 6 and 10 oclock.

Not sure it is for the best, but I like a uniform platform so I can stand anywhere. So I am not terribly interested something like the Ameristeps in the mix. Maybe if I had 2 Stepps I’d stay put/still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OakFlats273

Oct 11, 2018
I like 3 for a platform. I have to say I think I have my method for getting the stepps level down. It has to do with how you thread the ropes. I picked it up from one of Peter’s videos where he notes that WE does it this way.

I like stepps at 2, 6 and 10 oclock.

Not sure it is for the best, but I like a uniform platform so I can stand anywhere. So I am not terribly interested something like the Ameristeps in the mix. Maybe if I had 2 Stepps I’d stay put/still.

Yea I was thinking steps at 4 and 8 or 5 and 7 if that’s too far. Not sure without trying it yet. 2, 6, and 10 would be good for 3 though. I can see that working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rutjr

Oct 6, 2018
Cumberland, RI
So far I've used bolts for the climbing system with two WE Stepps as the platform. I think most of the time I straddle the tree with my legs just hanging. I find it very comfortable.

Exiled in MD

May 30, 2018
Maryland
It's hard to beat their versatility and weight. Single aider on the bottom 3, climb with the rest and save 3 for the platform. I've never tried more than 3 as a platform because the saddle gives you so much swing. I've had them come from behind me and I'm still able to get around for a drop shot. You just got to be sneakier than them!

Reactions: pesqimon