• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepps - How are you carrying?

thenickgann

Are there any folks that have created or found a better solution for carrying in/stowing away the Wild Edge Stepps? Something that fits on your harness, or in your backpack or? Just looking to see whats around...

I’ve got some MOLLE on the outside of my backpack that i thread a short cam buckle strap through and then cinch down tight over my stack of steps. It works well with 6-8 steps or maybe even more with a larger MOLLE area. They pack down tight and don’t make noise

In the WE bag, then into my backpack. I have a compartment basically devoted to the steps and my sitdrag. Comfortable and nothing to hang up on branches. Love it! Pete

I dig both options, but am working on an idea for maybe something on a molle attachment but have it sit secure on the Mantis... but I need the Mantis to work this out...

I incorporated a military surplus fanny pack which has thee Molle attachment straps and a waist belt. I have used this to attach it to the bottom and the side of my backpack06275AE3-DDF8-4ABB-8922-8EDDB2F994D1.pngDF8B0FB9-AFD5-4744-93BC-1D0A80580BB7.pngED3F4BFF-0182-4E25-B361-30569355E4A2.png

I dig both options, but am working on an idea for maybe something on a molle attachment but have it sit secure on the Mantis... but I need the Mantis to work this out...
IMHO I think a bag of stepps would be too much to carry on the mantis. I personally don't like much weight hanging off my saddles, I just have a small pouch with my lineman's belt and tether.

agree with what Red just said - it will pull the saddle down and be uncomfortable at a minimum. If walking in short distances you can just sling the bag over the shoulder - not recommended for longer walks in. The strap sucks and even with the pad they sell as an accessory, it digs into your shoulder so getting a pack that can hold them until you are at the tree is what I'll be doing. I did a half mile walk first hunt with them and carried 12 stepps - that was the last time I did that - even now carrying 5 - 7 max I'm not using the shoulder strap until I'm climbing.

Mine just go in my bag as well. My linesmans rope and tether is about all the weight I want on my saddle.

Well, something hanging off the saddle is what I want, or so I think... but the weight of the steps would only be present when going up the tree, which obviously is diminished as you climb since you are removing them. I do not mean just hiking in with the stepps on the saddle, but then I don't see myself hiking in wit the saddle on anyhow.

In my pop up 28 pack in the meat sleeve and once at the tree with the bag and shoulder strap.

@thenickgann , I think for climbing it is hard to beat the bag slinged over your shoulder. It is very conveniently located. I think hanging off the saddle (forgetting about weight for the moment) would put it too low. Plus it is nice to be able to move it around on your body sometimes as your climbing up or down.

Have you been practicing with it and is there something in particular causing an issue while climbing? Pete

So, why not just sew a waist belt with a buckle to the WE bag? Strap it around your waist and off you go.

You have to at least give me credit for stating the obvious :)

I would but I am not one of the amazing sewing wizards on here!!!!

So, why not just sew a waist belt with a buckle to the WE bag? Strap it around your waist and off you go.

You have to at least give me credit for stating the obvious :)

The other reason is that I have spent this entire off-season trying new things and sewing didn’t make the cut.

Switched from lock-on stand to guidos web, then to kestrel, and waiting for the mantis. Went from full length climbing sticks to wild edge, then added an aider and then you and @swampsnyper had to go off and invent the knaider/swaider combo. I also added a lone wolf hand climber to the mix and picked up spurs this week.

Built a platform, added ameristeps and now the predator platform. And you know I gave the wild edge a few test runs in there as well.

Learned to splice rope, then Amstel and finished with some splicing on the predator rope. That was tough!!!!

Sewing just has to wait until after season and/or I start a 12 step program for saddle hunters. Lol.... that’s not going to happen so it will just have to wait until March

I use an EXO MT Gear 3500 pack with 10 stepps and my saddle. Everything fits in the pack bag and it has a frame that I can haul an entire deer out in

The other reason is that I have spent this entire off-season trying new things and sewing didn’t make the cut.

Switched from lock-on stand to guidos web, then to kestrel, and waiting for the mantis. Went from full length climbing sticks to wild edge, then added an aider and then you and @swampsnyper had to go off and invent the knaider/swaider combo. I also added a lone wolf hand climber to the mix and picked up spurs this week.

Built a platform, added ameristeps and now the predator platform. And you know I gave the wild edge a few test runs in there as well.

Learned to splice rope, then Amstel and finished with some splicing on the predator rope. That was tough!!!!

Sewing just has to wait until after season and/or I start a 12 step program for saddle hunters. Lol.... that’s not going to happen so it will just have to wait until March
Jeez, I thought I was the only one who had an off season like this!

Is there actually some hunting somewhere at the end of all this madness?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeez, I thought I was the only one who had an off season like this!

Is there actually some hunting somewhere at the end of all this madness?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
How did your off-season go down? We may need to start a new thread for this one.

6 stepps and a predator platform strapped to my Badlands Pursuit pack. Once at the tree I just put the bag strap across my chest one way and the predator strap over the other.
4dd7e6ec8bb2bf9b4dd29f0c32a94b87.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back