• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepps - How many do I need

ekelsey15

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to search and couldn't find it due to the shear number of times the words "Wild Edge Steps" show up in each and every thread.

So I just bought a saddle and it is on the way. I plan to get the Knaider and Swaider and Wild Edge Steps. My question is how many steps do I need and how high can I get? I am 6'3" tall if that matters. I figure a safe dimension to use for a step would be 18" meaning I can get 4.5" per step. So with 3 steps I am at about 13.5'. Is that a fair assessment? Should I use 24"? I also plan on using the steps as a platform. So i guess I add 2-3 steps to whatever I figure out from this thread? That would I think give me another 4.5' too.

As time goes on I may decide to space my steps out further apart, but while I am still new at this I want to have a safe and controlled descent down the tree, rather than trying to feel for steps in the dark..

Thanks it advance.

I use just the WE adjustable aider and I use 5 or 6 to get to 20-23 feet. I tried the knaider and swaider and you should be able to space out your steps more than I do. I think 5 is a safe number plus what you want for platform I would go with the 8 pack

I carried 5 this year with the swaider/knaider. I got to 20 foot high with my platform added. I actually ended up not using the swaider much. I can get an extra six inches per step with the addition of the swaider but even if I got lazy and just used the knaider I could still get to a good hunting height with the five steps. I am 5'6 so you could get higher. The knaider is a life saver and possibly my most valued addition to my hunting set up this decade. I agree with Jefferson, get the 8 pack.

I got a 10 pack, and have considered selling 5 to one of the newbies watching G2's video. I can get to 20ft with 5 and a knaider. I do not like the knaider/aider combo or the multistep aider. Too much swinging around for me.

Honestly, I climbed for a good bit "knaider style" without wven using a knaider! Rough on the old kneebow though.

With the K/S system I found that the most comfortable place to set my steps was eye height. So for you three steps should get you to 18’ comfortably. This could probably be stretched out a bit as you get comfortable with it and you might be able to make 21’ eventually. I always carry 4 steps when I use the K/S. This allows me to go to 24’ if I have to or If not I can use my 4th step to make a ring of steps if needed. Also it’s nice to have an extra step along. I’ve had multiple times where I’ve bent a leg of the step in the field and having that extra step along meant I didn’t have a ruin hunt.

Just went out today, 19 feet using 4 WE steps. 21 feet onto the platform. I'm 5'8" That's just under 5' per step using the Knaider /swaider. Being 6'3" I'd say you should be able to get 5' on each step easy. 4 steps to 20' plus 2 feet more to the platform= 22 feet. Maybe two steps set at 5 and 7 o'clock, for a platform. Maybe go to 30 feet once and awhile. 6 steps, my final answer.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I’d be silly not to get the eight pack.

Back