• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge steps and aiders

WormyJames

SH Member
So has anybody made a movable multi step aider with two hooks for use with WE steps? Seems like it would be a little less sketchy than single hook aiders (less apt for hook to slide side to side on step and cause step o kick out). Knaider/Swaiders are very efficient but only use a single hook-- seems like the same efficiency could be had with a multi step aider with two hooks but also have more stability.

So has anybody made a movable multi step aider with two hooks for use with WE steps? Seems like it would be a little less sketchy than single hook aiders (less apt for hook to slide side to side on step and cause step o kick out). Knaider/Swaiders are very efficient but only use a single hook-- seems like the same efficiency could be had with a multi step aider with two hooks but also have more stability.

I just make two lumps of tape that constrict my hooks one the K/S combo to the center of the step. Like 3” space. It works. I’m sure you could just get a multi step aider and hook it on WE steps with the tape simpler the. Finding or making an aider with 2 hooks. But it does sound like it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A custom amsteel aider with two of the knaider hooks from EWO should make exactly what you're after. You could also make one out of webbing if you had the right sewing machine

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you place the two hooks on the crossbar, there is still nothing to keep them from sliding together in the middle or both to one side, especially if step isn’t level. I guess you could find a way to hook them on the two standoffs, but that seems complicated.

I gorilla tape my entire crossbar which increased friction on the hook a lot. No sliding issues. I like the built up idea too. Heck, right zip ties would probably work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking a spacer across the webbing right under the hooks like you see on the Backwoods Mobil Gear Aiders would help keep the hooks in place at each end of the crossbar...
I have the WE adjustable aider that is made of the same rope they have on the steps that has a single hook on it--I have put some tape on it to help with it sliding but haven't climbed with it yet since I put the tape on
Thanks for the replies
Rick

I saw the knaider hooks on the Eastern Woods Outdoors web site this morning. To be honest the price for 1 hook is pricey. You might want to consider buying a set of knaider swaiders.

Back