• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge vs Ameristep

Hillclimber

Those of you who use these as a platform, it seems like the wild edge is gaining popularity. Is it because Ameristeps are discontinued or wild edge more stable and that much better? I think 3 wild edges would be good with a set of climbing spurs for best mobility but it seems like my mind is changing all the time lol.

Yes
They both make great platforms. I have a hard time setting the 3 wild edge steps at height I know I will get better with practice. I would want a platform with my Spurs I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggle setting up the ameristeps on a boat buckle. Buckle is always where I need a step, won’t cam over straight, strap always getting off center of the cam edges, steps are spongy on some bark. I’m ready for a change.

Guys,

When you get to height do you remove your spurs when using a platform?

I struggle setting up the ameristeps on a boat buckle. Buckle is always where I need a step, won’t cam over straight, strap always getting off center of the cam edges, steps are spongy on some bark. I’m ready for a change.

That's the exact same reason that I went from a "Boat Buckle" to a "Ratchet" on the strap for my ameristeps. Problem solved.

I can’t ever imagine using a ratchet hunting especially a morning. Noise noise noise.

Is there a way to not make the metal to metal sound? WHW are you the woodpecker bolt guy?

Could you set the platform before placing your last step, then arrange for the last step to cam over the buckle? Then your last step becomes part of your platform and fills the gap.

That’s what I do. The ameristeps ring of steps platform is the next step up. I was talking about I always need an ameristep in the gap that the boat buckle takes up, more so on a small tree. Sometimes that boat buckle and the room it needs to work can take up a whole 1/3 of the circumference of a tree.

That why I’m thinking on a small tree, 2 wild edge steps will be better.

Last edited:
10-4 WHW. I just ordered an EZ Kut inspired by your video. I will do some experimenting with a ratchet style and steps some more and try to work on noise control. I definitely like the bolt method for presets tho.

Reactions: WHW
I mean to have it at the same level as your last step so the last step fills the void left by the buckle.

Reactions: PJC
I used a set of 4 Wild Edge on a hunt last fall. That was when I realized any non-platform solution is hard to work with a camera arm. They were super solid and easy to walk around on, even on a moderate/larger tree. Took a while to set up, though.

Ameristeps = 3.9oz each
Strap and Erickson buckle = 8.9oz

Each WildEdge step = 15.0oz.

Weight and speed advantage would go to the strap/steps. But huntability goes to the Wild Edge IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used a set of 4 Wild Edge on a hunt last fall. That was when I realized any non-platform solution is hard to work with a camera arm. They were super solid and easy to walk around on, even on a moderate/larger tree. Took a while to set up, though.

Ameristeps = 3.9oz each
Strap and Erickson buckle = 8.9oz

Each WildEdge step = 15.0oz.

Weight and speed advantage would go to the strap/steps. But huntability goes to the Wild Edge IMO.

Seems like it wouldn’t be hard. Just tie a stepp on in front of you, then slide to the side and cam over. Seems easy enough from the couch! Lol

I figure an 8 pack of steps is about the same weight as my 3 lone wolf sticks. Combined with using the Cain method I should get to the same height or more with 6 stepps and have 2 extra for a platform added on each side of my top step. Well might need one more for a pull up stepp or only go 5 steps high at platform height. I’ll have to see once they come in.

Even if it weighs more and I don’t have to cuss those ameristeps on the boat buckle another time, it will be worth it. Lol

It is pretty easy when you have the hang of it. Definitely practice a few times before you hunt. Otherwise you'll be 20 feet up going "Do I feed this rope above or below the standoff of this step?". Practice makes perfect.

Back