• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Winchester 1400 semi auto 12 guage shotgun

Newhunter1

SH Member
Ok, here's the back story. My now 15 year old son wanted to get into trap shooting last year so I took him with his mother's Remington 870 20g shotgun and he fell in love with it. I then traded my kel-tec sub 2000 for a Stoeger Condor 12g over/under and he loves it...so much so that my youngest son is doing it with his mother's youth model 870 20g. He's getting better as well. Now, I started shooting with them but I have my friends riot shotgun with no choke and a short 24" barrel. I'm ok, but my oldest is rubbing it in my face that he's better at shooting trap than I am. I do ok at the 16 yard line, but when I go back to the 20 yard line, I hit fewer...and I know why. Which is fine...I just hate to lose. So today, the wife and I went to a local gun store and walked in to purchase our youngest his first shotgun. We found an identical 870 combo (not the youth model) with a rifled barrel for 350.00. Put a down payment on that and will get it in 30 days.

Looking around the store I found the shotgun in question. Winchester 1400 in 12guage. The store wants 225.00 and I want to shoot trap with my boys. Looking at the ole interwebs, there were people saying that it is a bad shotgun and people saying that after cleaning the gun it was shooting just fine. I looked the gun over and it is almost immaculate...one spot of rust on the rib at the rear of the shotgun...did not have a bore light but I'm more concerned about the gas operation.

How many of you have the 1400 and what do you love about it...like about it or hate about it?

They also have two remington 1100 for 650 and 675.

I've owned a couple of them. Never had a problem with them. I've had more issues with the Remington 1100 not wanting to cycle well and the gas ring giving me fits.
The Winchester will do just fine. Keep in mind, its a field gun and will shoot pretty flat with a pattern that will be pretty much 50/50 as opposed to a trap fun that would be 60/40 or 70/30.
Just keep the Winchester clean and you will enjoy it. Also with the price difference between the two, you will have plenty of money for the shells.

Well bought the shotgun...but not the Winchester. I bought a stoeger M3000. poor mans benelli. Well get it tuesday and will shoot clay pigeons tuesday.

Well bought the shotgun...but not the Winchester. I bought a stoeger M3000. poor mans benelli. Well get it tuesday and will shoot clay pigeons tuesday.

I have a M3000 as well. If that one is like mine it will pound you and the clays. I went with a O/U and had it fitted. Took the punishment out. The book says to break in the inertia system to slam a handful of magnums through it first. Mine had hard time cycling low brass light loads at first. Just something to look into. Also a good grind to fit recoil pad will help tremendously.

Back