• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wind proof clothing recommendations

DaWiz9578

Anyone have any preference on wind proof clothing? Doesnt necessarily have to insulated or scent control or anything.

My layering system I use cabelas polyester mid and heavyweight tops and bottoms, then a set of cotton insulated coveralls and if need be carharrt bibs and coat over that. Worked for down to 4F with little to no wind this season, maybe up to 10 mph.

Going out today with 20 mph around 30F and made me realize I have no wind proof bottoms. I have a jacket, under armor storm, which worked well in blocking wind in warmer weather probably 40-50F, with minimal insulation underneath, I think just my lightweight base layer. I was actually sweating.

Looked at just getting the UA storm pants (https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/m...o135?lsg=5d756e41-3ba9-4b57-9851-caedd4788760), but says repels water and breathable. Wondering if it worked for the jacket should I not question it and just get the pants for a windproof bottom layer or does anyone else have any suggestions? And no $300 pants, ill wrap up in saran wrap before I spend that on a single layer piece. I know a lot of people love their high dollar clothing, just not for me.

Was looking at goretex, but man that stuff is expensive and I assume heavy, when Im essentially just looking to insert a windproof membrane.

Cabelas Space Rain. It's almost always in my pack, it works as well as a windbreaker as it does a rain jacket. It's quiet. Your windbreaker needs to be your outermost layer protecting your insulation.

If you’re not walking in it, any 50.00 rain gear from Walmart or academy will stop wind(and rain obviously). Pack it to your set up, don at base of tree, good to go.

If you have poor thermoregulation, the temperature changes a lot while you hunt, or you’re wearing it to your set(read - sweating), then the expensive stuff will keep you warm and dry in sub freezing temperatures.

Wind breakers work fine under other layers. But other layers will lose much of their insulating qualities because the air they are trapping is outside of the wind breaker layer, and cold.

I actually have a cabelas gift card I was wondering what to get with so I'll look into those. Thanks

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I wear a cabela’s rain coat as my outer layer, even in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivers west rain pants. I beat the crap out of these going through the thick thorny stuff, they still work great and are pretty quiet. They seem big for sizing so they go over insulated clothing well.

Back