• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wonder how wild hog would be cooked this way..

catman529

Need to step up our game for saddlepalooza 2020...

0fdfdf19b335e28d07df3d5f8e772613.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This may hurt, but from what I read from last years gathering, Ya'll might want to be thinking chicken from Walmart.

This may hurt, but from what I read from last years gathering, Ya'll might want to be thinking chicken from Walmart.
I took it easy on them last year. This year its going to be on!!

Wild hogs cook fast and dry out quickly. Ive ruined some thinking slow and low like a market hog. Went check after a few hours and it was jerky! They just don’t have the marbling.

Wild hogs cook fast and dry out quickly. Ive ruined some thinking slow and low like a market hog. Went check after a few hours and it was jerky! They just don’t have the marbling.

Smoke it till the smoke is gone then wrap tight in foil and slow cook for several hours

cd251689b1bddf12ee7268f4b965c940.jpg

^ That pork was from saddlepalooza

When you pull the meat then put it back into its juices and let it soak it back up. It’s good

Smoke it till the smoke is gone then wrap tight in foil and slow cook for several hours

When you pull the meat then put it back into its juices and let it soak it back up. It’s good

I’ve had it come out good before. It’s just different. I had it wrapped up and going and someone wanted to check out what I had going on. I said it will be a while until it’s done be I’ll go show you. Unwrapped the foil and it was done! Good think we went check it. Lol

Did you cook it until it reached a certain internal temp? That looks great, but I have never been able to get it to pull. Always to tough so I will slice and then chop to throw it in a crock pot to simmer in some good BBQ sauce. I usually cook until Internal temp says 180 which sounds like it’s way to long. The pic is of a bone in hindquarter I cooked on Fathers Day.
44550287-F8CF-4141-84A1-4AC0DCFB9E0F.jpeg383EBD83-5A41-45F7-874C-2B96F8248D46.jpeg

When I fire up the smoker for pulled pork shoulder, I always let it go to195*, falls apart every time. Usually takes me about 5 hrs, with a 1 hour rest wrapped up and in a cooler to keep it hot.

When I fire up the smoker for pulled pork shoulder, I always let it go to195*, falls apart every time. Usually takes me about 5 hrs, with a 1 hour rest wrapped up and in a cooler to keep it hot.

Are you talking about wild hog, or domestic? That’s what I do with a domestic pork butt, but wild hog is much leaner and more similar to deer than anything else. If you cook wild hog that long it will dry out.

Did you cook it until it reached a certain internal temp? That looks great, but I have never been able to get it to pull. Always to tough so I will slice and then chop to throw it in a crock pot to simmer in some good BBQ sauce. I usually cook until Internal temp says 180 which sounds like it’s way to long. The pic is of a bone in hindquarter I cooked on Fathers Day.
View attachment 12936View attachment 12937

I don’t think I kept the temp. Probably had the smoker around 250 or so. Smoked the meat till the smoke was gone and then put the meat in a baking pan and covered tightly with aluminum foil and let it cook for several hours. It came out falling off the bone, it pulled easily and then I let it soak up its own juices.

1ee3d19bedc7ee2ad945c10fcc8e8fd5.jpg

195....dang.....Pork is safe at 140-145.

Yes, but if you’re cooking a domestic pork butt and want to do pulled pork then running it up to a higher Temp makes it just fall apart. It will fall off the shoulder blade and it feels like warm butter if you stick it with a knife or fork.

I don’t think I kept the temp. Probably had the smoker around 250 or so. Smoked the meat till the smoke was gone and then put the meat in a baking pan and covered tightly with aluminum foil and let it cook for several hours. It came out falling off the bone, it pulled easily and then I let it soak up its own juices.

1ee3d19bedc7ee2ad945c10fcc8e8fd5.jpg

That looks great! I use a pellet Grill so the smoke doesn’t stop unless I stop it. I am going to cook another hindquarter this weekend so I will pull it off much sooner and try it your way. Thanks for the tip!

Are you talking about wild hog, or domestic? That’s what I do with a domestic pork butt, but wild hog is much leaner and more similar to deer than anything else. If you cook wild hog that long it will dry out.

Domestic. Never had the chance on wild. Makes sense, doubt there is much fat on them. Wish I had access to some hogs. They look to be fun to

Domestic. Never had the chance on wild. Makes sense, doubt there is much fat on them. Wish I had access to some hogs. They look to be fun to

Texas governor just signed a bill into law (effective in September) that you don’t even need a license to hunt pigs anymore.

Back