• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Woohoo...drew a bullwinkle tag!

tarafrost

Just got the results for the primary moose tag draw....I drew a calf tag, which is good for both the archery and gun hunt weeks.

No luck on one of our guys getting an adult tag for the gun hunt. Have to try for the 2nd Chance draw with the camp member that has the most points, and everyone else try for a 2nd calf tag, since if we don't have a 2nd tag and I fill my calf tag during the earlier archery hunt, we can't do the gun hunt.

But so far, so good. Fingers crossed for the 2nd Chance draw, which starts Jun 15, deadline July 7th and results published Aug 1.

Nice! Where you hunting at?

Ontario, Canada. Bit north of Parry Sound, WMU 49. Same area I've hunted for over 3 decades with the same gang of guys. Always look forward to it every year, and this year will be special with 1 week of archery (moose/bear/deer) and a couple of weeks later, the moose gun hunt with the camp.

Ontario, Canada. Bit north of Parry Sound, WMU 49. Same area I've hunted for over 3 decades with the same gang of guys. Always look forward to it every year, and this year will be special with 1 week of archery (moose/bear/deer) and a couple of weeks later, the moose gun hunt with the camp.
Nice! After looking at your profile I figured you had the experience necessary. I miss the north something fierce. Super stoked for you. A calf would be manageable but man if I got even a decent size bull A. I wouldn’t even know where to put it, my freezer wouldn’t hold it lol and B. I’d prolly have a heart attack trying to pack it out.
I grew up hunting the woods behind my house back home and my buddies parents used to hunt Denali National Preserve.

Typically, moose hunting up here is party hunting. The real work starts when the animal hits the ground. With a calf hitting 350-400 lbs, a cow to 800 and a bull over 1000, helps to have a bunch of guys (and ATVs!) when it's time to recover it!

Even moving a calf to gut it is a challenge single handed.

Whenever possible (usually) we try to field dress then haul out the animal whole. Keeps the meat cleaner than quartering, since the hide protects everything.

For the archery/camping hunt, I'll probably have my kid and a good friend or two alternating coming up during the week, so unlikely to be solo if I get lucky enough to arrow a calf. Even then, worst case. I would likely be able to get the ATV in close, or could quarter it and pack out to the machine which is rarely too far. I keep a portable but fairly heavy duty block and tackle in my machine, so that would help to roll the calf for dressing purposes.

Regardless, would be a nice problem to have come Fall hunting season!

As for the meat, if you split it 7-10 ways as it usual with our hunt camp, it's a fair bit of meat, but nothing that won't fit nicely in even a modest freezer.

Congrats on the tag! Have an enjoyable hunt. I shot a cow moose (Shiras) with the bow a few years ago. That was a fun DIY hunt!

Congrats man. What's your caliber of choice for moose?

45-70 Marlin 1895 SBL lever action, with factory 300gr JHPs! Great gun for thick bush where we hunt, and small enough for easy dogging with.

For archery, not sure yet....depends if I buy a new crossbow this year or not. May stick with my old Excalibur or Bear compound, though I hurt my shoulder years ago, so unlikely to want to pull a compound.

Back