• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would you hunt here?

sconnieman

I’ve hunted here before. I was all over the place here the first week of November. Saw a little 4corn on the first morning and that’s all we saw on the top of the south side of the kettle. Last year we sat in the same area and I shot at a buck, saw another buck, and a doe. The lack of any activity this year has me wondering if this place is even worth hunting again. The top parts of the kettle are thick with white oak. Lots of acorns. I’m thinking of giving it one last chance on Friday. My plan is to walk in on the south access and just walk the ridge line to my area and find a tree and sit all day. Should I make the drive or just hunt the public land by my house and sit on the edge of a picked corn field until the pheasant hunters show up?
7f081864d539cbeb6044fb31cfb5e1fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As they say, hunt sign. If you aren't seeing any what makes you feel confident the deer are there? Public land so maybe a hunter was in there before you and blew up the area. If it were me I'd hunt either side of the blue line I drew(see attached). Looks to be a draw, search it for a crossing area and hunt it. Benches are always good and it seems like that's what you picked but maybe the deer are using a different bench. Another thing to consider is wind which you are but also thermals. They can be crazy on mountain sides.

Attachments

• 978763321.png
    978763321.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
The problem with this place is that there’s sign everywhere, mostly tracks and scat. But I’ve found plenty of rubs and a handful of scrapes. On my last day there a couple weeks ago we were on a path with a scrape midway down. Walked that yellow line back and found tracks that were made sometime that morning. I also found a few more rubs on that walk.
ad8c368506b37c338ca2a79fdf59bab8.jpg

If you’re seeing fresh sign I’d hunt it for sure. Especially if it’s looking like daytime sign.

One thing I wouldn’t do is blast a topo overlay of an area you’ve had decent success with onto the internet. Especially when the spot is within driving distance of one of the biggest cities in the state.

A quick google search didn’t turn up much, and it’s probably best to keep it that way.

Ugh yeah I hunt a property like that. Your mission then is to find the funnel. Like MN said, fresh sign warrants a sit.

If you’re seeing fresh sign I’d hunt it for sure. Especially if it’s looking like daytime sign.

One thing I wouldn’t do is blast a topo overlay of an area you’ve had decent success with onto the internet. Especially when the spot is within driving distance of one of the biggest cities in the state.

A quick google search didn’t turn up much, and it’s probably best to keep it that way.

I understand but I don’t care anymore. I only want to get one deer out of there so i don’t feel like this place didnt defeat me. Last year was my first deer and i missed a 20 yard broadside. This year it kicked my ass as we hunted every corner of this place and it wasn’t easy hauling my summit climber around.

I get that, truly. I’ve got a few frustrating spots around me too. You just never know when you’ll find a honey hole. Like I said I’d hunt it. Coming into lockdown, secondary, and late season I’d key on for bedding and food as much as you can.

I get that, truly. I’ve got a few frustrating spots around me too. You just never know when you’ll find a honey hole. Like I said I’d hunt it. Coming into lockdown, secondary, and late season I’d key on for bedding and food as much as you can.

Where do you focus on food? Most of the high Forest is white oak and there’s no ag to sit by? Bedding that I know of is south of property line. This is only my second year hunting.

Zooming out a bit it looks like there’s a ton of ag in the immediate vicinity?

Oh yea. Just not anywhere close that I can set up by. I think if I go back I’m gonna set up close to the southern fence line in that transition area.

Have you done a wind study there? It might be a great spot for deer, but a hard area to hunt unless you get the perfect wind (which may be an unusual prevailing wind for that region).
And are you actually cracking open any of the acorns to check for weevil larvae? Sometimes almost an entire crop of acorns has larvae and are useless to deer because they won't eat them with worms in them. Guys see thousands of acorns on the ground and think its gotta be a great spot...not if the acorns have weevils.

Have you done a wind study there? It might be a great spot for deer, but a hard area to hunt unless you get the perfect wind (which may be an unusual prevailing wind for that region).
And are you actually cracking open any of the acorns to check for weevil larvae? Sometimes almost an entire crop of acorns has larvae and are useless to deer because they won't eat them with worms in them. Guys see thousands of acorns on the ground and think its gotta be a great spot...not if the acorns have weevils.

I usually hunt the wind. I’m not gonna go Friday cuz there’s gonna be a strong NW wind blowing into what i think is bedding. I’ve never thought to crack open an acorn though. I do think the wildlife there has an advantage on you 95% of the time from the wind and thermals. Maybe my expectations need to be adjusted. It’s only year 2.

I usually hunt the wind. I’m not gonna go Friday cuz there’s gonna be a strong NW wind blowing into what i think is bedding. I’ve never thought to crack open an acorn though. I do think the wildlife there has an advantage on you 95% of the time from the wind and thermals. Maybe my expectations need to be adjusted. It’s only year 2.

A wind study is going to the property multiple times during varying prevailing wind conditions and actually mapping what the wind is doing. Mapping wind is not really done while hunting, although its always good to note surface wind behavior. Wind studies are best done with more than 1 man and communication devices like phones or walkie talkies.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

A wind study is going to the property multiple times during varying prevailing wind conditions and actually mapping what the wind is doing. Mapping wind is not really done while hunting, although its always good to note surface wind behavior. Wind studies are best done with more than 1 man and communication devices like phones or walkie talkies.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Definitely haven’t done that lol

Back