• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WTS Titanium bolts *Price Reduction

Tim W

I’m a bigger guy, practiced with them a few times and hunted with them once this weekend. They obviously aren’t for the bigger guys out there because a few bent on me during my hunt. I was able to get up and down the tree just fine.

I’m not an expert but I think they would still be fine for a smaller person? So I’m posting for anyone interested. If someone can chime in advising they are no longer suitable for climbing, please advise and I will gladly close the post.

Otherwise I’ll take the best offer so someone else can get some use out of them. Thanks

6872d42884d534897e3acb9e96677db3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh so they arent for mobile hunting?
I'm not doing myself any favors by saying this, but I wouldn't recommend these for you since you don't know much about them or if you are a bigger guy, because I bent a couple of them. I'm pretty much looking to pass these on to someone who has experience with bolts, a smaller guy who wants the lighter weight bolts.

@Tim W - out of curiousity, how much do you weigh in "hunting trim" and what sort of load were you putting on them? Also how much did they bend and did it cause any safety issue at the time? Or just a "dang I bent my bolts" situation?

My memory is that by the math the titanium bolts are something like 20-30% weaker than the grade 8 ones, and the carbon are actually much stronger (as much as 80%) but much more prone to catastrophe.

I'm probably around 250-260 lbs with gear. It was not a safety issue for me at the time, I continued to use them on that hunt. It was more of "dang I bent them, probably not for me to use further" type of a situation.... I didn't bounce on them, they were in the tree on a slight angle, so I'm guessing I put more weight on the end of the bolt, but that's just a guess. I just know that I climbed the tree with them like I would grade 8 bolts...

And to think I was just about to order a bar of titanium LOL but I got a Telya I’m scared as hell to be standing on a carbon fiber rod when it’s 20 below zero and have it shatter on me

That's exactly why my confort level with titanium exceeds carbon - even though they're far weaker.

@SkylineReaper - I think the carbon strengthens skightly with cold. The bigger concerns are tiny imperfections, and of course the zero bending.

For reference, I bent a grade 8 bolt a little, I'm probably 260 with gear. I hope it was just because I didn't have it in far enough or something, and its not a huge bend, but it isn't straight anymore.

That's exactly why my confort level with titanium exceeds carbon - even though they're far weaker.

@SkylineReaper - I think the carbon strengthens skightly with cold. The bigger concerns are tiny imperfections, and of course the zero bending.

I see your point o the webs we weave

Trick with these are keeping your foot close to the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back