• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

X stand Mini X 1- better than saddle?

Garrymny

I was and am excited about saddle hunting. I am also making a saddle. But the climbing aspect is still an additional concern. I was going to use my bottom part of my climber to save the platform and climbing concern. Then I came across this X stand. Weighs 8.5 lbs! I had to order it. Tractor Supply $170. This will give me another option. I do want to try my "homemade" saddle too, it is getting sewed at the shoe repair shop.

I looked at that stand before I bought a saddle. I may still pick one up one day. But I also keep a windwalker handy, and just bought a chippewa ghost.

I like options, although since I bought a saddle that's been my go to 90% of the time.

I have an Xstand climber that weighs 11lbs or 12 with shooting rail. I only switched to using a saddle for most hunts due to the bulk of carrying the stand and not being able to always hunt the best tree for a spot. Comfort varies per person and either works well, but my torn disc feels better in a saddle than sitting normal.

I honestly can climb as fast as any saddle method with my stand, blindfolded. Disclaimer - I will not use a harness and never have with any climbers in the past years, so I am super fast without having to deal with it. Don't do what I do!

When it is all said and done, except for a few fanatics, the saddle is just one tool in our hunting options that allows us to kill deer and other animals. I will use saddles, xstand, box blinds, gillies, ground blinds, ladder stands, and a broken down tractor in the course of my season. If I knew dressing like a scarecrow and standing in the corn field would work, I would do that too!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I looked at that stand before I bought a saddle. I may still pick one up one day. But I also keep a windwalker handy, and just bought a chippewa ghost.

I like options, although since I bought a saddle that's been my go to 90% of the time.

Did you buy the ghost new? Are they available again?

I have an Xstand climber that weighs 11lbs or 12 with shooting rail. I only switched to using a saddle for most hunts due to the bulk of carrying the stand and not being able to always hunt the best tree for a spot. Comfort varies per person and either works well, but my torn disc feels better in a saddle than sitting normal.

I honestly can climb as fast as any saddle method with my stand, blindfolded. Disclaimer - I will not use a harness and never have with any climbers in the past years, so I am super fast without having to deal with it. Don't do what I do!

When it is all said and done, except for a few fanatics, the saddle is just one tool in our hunting options that allows us to kill deer and other animals. I will use saddles, xstand, box blinds, gillies, ground blinds, ladder stands, and a broken down tractor in the course of my season. If I knew dressing like a scarecrow and standing in the corn field would work, I would do that too!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I'm hoping the Mini is going to be less bulky.

Yes, they are BACK!!! WOO HOO!

The windwalker...not so much :-(

I always wondered why they sort of went away. By the time I wanted one and could afford one they were gone. I do love my millennium m7 micro and I have some mod ideas but now I’m sold on the saddle and platform. But basically I tried to find the next best thing compared to the Chippewa stands. Hmm, might have to have a backup backup sometime.

I always wondered why they sort of went away. By the time I wanted one and could afford one they were gone. I do love my millennium m7 micro and I have some mod ideas but now I’m sold on the saddle and platform. But basically I tried to find the next best thing compared to the Chippewa stands. Hmm, might have to have a backup backup sometime.
The original Owner Sold chippewa. Pretty sure they were just moving production, etc. There's a good blurb aa but it on their site.

I'll have a ghost some day. I have 2 of the original wedge loc models. The hanging system is awesome. I think I would mod the ghost with a loc-on style seat so it packs like my windwalker.

They are expensive, but high quality and solid. Can never have enough options, right?

Back