• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

xop pro climbing stick

heretic

SH Member
Hey all, after reading @Hailey_Phillips thread on cutting up LW sticks it got me thinking about cutting up my XOP sticks. I'm mainly interested in climbing with the one stick method, but I didn't want to carry around a full length XOP stick to get stuck on brush. I was hesitant to actually cut up my sticks in the off chance I ever wanted to re-sell them so I went out and bought a single 1/8" walled aluminum tube (6061-t6) for testing purposes and then stole the hardware from one of my XOP sticks. The hole layout is a little more complicated on the XOP sticks than they are on the LW sticks but hey at least it gave me an excuse to finally buy a dremel tool (seriously how did I make it this long without one?). For the strap I stole some 3/8" notch dryad from one of my primal steps to use as a makeshift rope mod (turned out really well actually). I'll post a follow up picture once I get a chance to paint it this weekend. Depending on how much of a pain it is to climb with the rope mod I might switch out the XOP button for a cam cleat. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• stick mod 1.jpg
    stick mod 1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 112
  • stick mod 2.jpg
    stick mod 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 111
  • stick mod 3.jpg
    stick mod 3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 128
  • stick mod 4.jpg
    stick mod 4.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 159
  • stick mod 5.jpg
    stick mod 5.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 162
Not bad. I actually got ahold of some muddy pros recently and one sticked with them. As for using the rope cam cleat there is no comparison. It's really easy and convenient to use for 1 stick climbing.

If you use lone wolf stand offs you can turn the stand off vertical and stack them side by side. Just like a LWCG stick. Super compact :)

Quick update on the cut down XOP stick: I went ahead and added a cam cleat to make one sticking easier and then made an aider that loops through the lower stand-off bolt inside the stick. Since it's function is so close to a Muddy pro I'm calling this my XOP pro stick.

If I do anything further to this stick, it'll probably be taking an angle grinder to the ears on the sides of the standoff to allow the standoff to rotate a full 360 degrees. That ways I can turn the standoff inline with the stick body similar to how the LWCG sticks operate (good idea @skyjacker).

Attachments

• xop pro 1.jpg
    xop pro 1.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 103
  • xop pro 2.jpg
    xop pro 2.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 107
Back