• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP seat platform with versa button and strap?

Dewey

I'm sure this has been discussed already but couldn't find anything on it.

I noticed everyone uses a variety of straps or rope on the cast seat to attach to the tree but what about mounting a versa button on the tube and using a strap just like a LW/XOP hang on stand? Will the platform kick out easily or is there some other concern? I would think it would grab pretty good with the upper and lower tree brackets but haven't tried it to verify.

I use a LW strap on my seat frame like many do here but really concerned about the casting failing like I seen in another thread.

Dewey I had one of the ears break while I cammed it over. I have since went to attaching the amsteel (I splice it on) to the platform and then use a jim stepp knot on the other side. I do have one platform with a versa button and strap and it works fine (at least I have never had it kick out) but I do the same thing I did with my LW stands, I sep up on the post, lift the platform and let my weight push it down, then I step on the platform. To me the camming over really sets it - so you could actually do both if wanted. I personally find that the amsteel works flawlessly - just remember to take a file and work over and sharp/square edges first.

Agree with Dave. This is why many of us also use the seat platforms. You cam lock it like a little tree stand. And also why a few of us are looking into casting a slightly bigger platform in the off season.

f32fe138c4251c9f80fc5b0b06ae311d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anybody else try a versa button and strap on your seat platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have offseason plans of adding a versa button in addition to cam locking the platform. I like the idea of the redundant safety having 2 straps rather than one plus you'll be free to use both hands attaching the cam strap.

There are several on here. I made this one a few years ago. It worked good.

@c h r i s cut down a lone wolf tree stand recently. It is working well for him.

@DaveT1963 was really into the XOP post one year.
cac1bb464bb307904e845f2791f1ea37.jpg
46e52816fa271a9295f93ec105095934.jpg

The common theme with those is they all can be cam locked. I assume that is the limiting factor and why I don’t see any of Ernie’s kits with a versa button added.

The common theme with those is they all can be cam locked. I assume that is the limiting factor and why I don’t see any of Ernie’s kits with a versa button added.

Correct. If you don't cam lock, the platform will kick out when side loaded.

I’m gonna experiment with it since I have an extra versa button I don’t use on the bottom of my LW Alpha seat post. If it doesn’t work I won’t be out any money. Guess I’m one of those guys that has to see for myself if it works. LOL

It will work. You just need to be careful with your footwork.

Another style worth mentioning is the combination platform and stick. There are a lot of these on the WWW.

if you use two tree brackets and have ropes/straps for platform support then you don't have to cam it over. I used it for a while but I prefer the cam over action. I have a post that bowhunter 15 made me and I have one with an ernie post. I like both equally. I still prefer the simplicity of the Klemz best just wish it had a tad bigger platform.

I have offseason plans of adding a versa button in addition to cam locking the platform. I like the idea of the redundant safety having 2 straps rather than one plus you'll be free to use both hands attaching the cam strap.

I do this It makes the cam down easier

if you use two tree brackets and have ropes/straps for platform support then you don't have to cam it over. I used it for a while but I prefer the cam over action. I have a post that bowhunter 15 made me and I have one with an ernie post. I like both equally. I still prefer the simplicity of the Klemz best just wish it had a tad bigger platform.
If the size is a big issue just add a piece of plywood to the top and use the seat as your support. A 12" x 12" piece of 1/2" plywood is 1.4 lbs. Add a couple carriage bolts, nuts and fender washers to secure. So about 1.5 lbs in the end. Works great. I think I have one like this in my garage still. I'll snap some pics when I get home.

I tried to put the verse button below use platform and just use the strap with Versa button. But that really didn’t work for me so then I used Versa w strap to get Post set then used am steel to cam platform over. But eventually settled on using lone wolf strap to cam it over and like that best. Especially w putting 2 ameristeps on the straps.
fc417e00bfa8954b67949a8fb6391feb.jpg

I tried to put the verse button below use platform and just use the strap with Versa button. But that really didn’t work for me so then I used Versa w strap to get Post set then used am steel to cam platform over. But eventually settled on using lone wolf strap to cam it over and like that best. Especially w putting 2 ameristeps on the straps.
fc417e00bfa8954b67949a8fb6391feb.jpg

That’s how I strap mine on right now but like the addition of the Ameristeps. Great idea.

Wasn’t my idea but it’s a great one for sure. I have both sides of straps larks headed because it do not want to rely on that tab. Too many have broken. The only annoyance is feeding that through when you are up in a tree. But to me it’s worth it.

If the size is a big issue just add a piece of plywood to the top and use the seat as your support. A 12" x 12" piece of 1/2" plywood is 1.4 lbs. Add a couple carriage bolts, nuts and fender washers to secure. So about 1.5 lbs in the end. Works great. I think I have one like this in my garage still. I'll snap some pics when I get home.

I am just going to wait for you to reveal that new platform - then I will buy 5 of them.... figure I can get 5 years use form each and that should last me unto I am too old to climb like I do :)

Back