• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You may not be trad around these parts.

Bigfoot522

To be short and sweet, if your arrow rest or shelf give in the vertical or the horizontal then you my friend are not trad.
No face walking or string walking, no 20 yard crawl. No stabilizer and I'm not sure about a sling but it is definitely an advantage.

Now I submit that these new fandangled synthetic strings also should disqualify you but thats just me.

Now I will share that I never been trad.
I just shoot em any way I see fit.
I tell guys that if 20 oz. Of steel is why I beat them then hell go get you one because I'm just average and you need all the help you can get.

So if your thinking no wheels makes you trad, just know that more than one organization disagrees.

I am an archer by my own definition.

Thank you.

Do not despair friend,
You can shoot laminated glass powered bows, carbon limbs and arrows, have micarta, phenolic and G10 in your risers. All perfectly Trad??

Personally I think the term trad should only apply to archery equipment made in pre fiberglass fashion and wood arrows.
How can you be trad when your carbon limbs shoot 25 fps faster than a self bow, and then say its about the shelf having a pinch of forgiveness to achieve good arrow flight?

For competition rules are rules and if you want to participate you must abide by them. I get it.
I don't compete.

Traditional Archers is another way to say, "does not shoot compound." Period.

I am a member of the Single String Society.
I am not Trad.

I think you might be getting primitive and traditional mixed up. I think (at least to me) traditional means non-wheeled bows traditionally shot by some of the greats in recent archery.

Do not despair friend,
You can shoot laminated glass powered bows, carbon limbs and arrows, have micarta, phenolic and G10 in your risers. All perfectly Trad??

Personally I think the term trad should only apply to archery equipment made in pre fiberglass fashion and wood arrows.
How can you be trad when your carbon limbs shoot 25 fps faster than a self bow, and then say its about the shelf having a pinch of forgiveness to achieve good arrow flight?

For competition rules are rules and if you want to participate you must abide by them. I get it.
I don't compete.

Traditional Archers is another way to say, "does not shoot compound." Period.

I am a member of the Single String Society.
I am not Trad.
You just described primitive to a tee rather than traditional. Not arguing that there isnt a whole nuther level of skill and craft involved when you go to selfbows, river cane arrows and knapped heads. On that point we agree. If you want to go by tournament classes, well then we have to draw lines like barebow, recurve, longbow, etc. I try to stick to 3...primitive, traditional and compound. At the end of the day those are your bowhunters/archers.

There are even distinctions in primitive. I've been watching a lot of Ryan Gill's Hunt Primitive bow, arrow and stone point videos with an eye to getting into that. He makes a big distinction between bows made with stone age technology (flint tools) with sinew strings and very similar bows made with iron tools and using modern stings.

Primitive would be the iceman.

I agree lines have to be drawn.
This horse has been beaten many times.
I only brought it up due to a recent local publication.

But yeah, all modern after the advent of glass, primitive ties into times with the atlatl.

Thats my narrow view..
I also have a compound bow so I guess I am really tradpound or compditional.

I don't own a coon skin cap either.
Mine is muskrat.

Do the Primitive Cops issue tickets in the timber, or just take you out with a flint point? You all shoot what you like cause I aint judging nobody. I have shot squirrels with deer slugs, stabbed bass with a knife, caught snakes with rod and reel, caught a mallard with a Lucky 13, and fed dill pickles to babies.

I despise hearing people trying to decide what "traditional archery" is, when the same shooting methods have been being used for decades and centuries. :rolleyes: I'm dealing with an Ohio based organization of crochity old dogs that don't allow specific aiming methods, stating it's not "traditional"....this is OSTA. When the old farts that's running it, die, it will fall apart and dissolve, to which I say good riddance. o_O

The Mongols, Romans and Asian archers have been defending their countries for centuries with all of these shooting methods, so it's nothing new or to be defined by anyone in this day and age. :cool: We as archers do NOT need any more divisions within our groups.

Do the Primitive Cops issue tickets in the timber, or just take you out with a flint point? You all shoot what you like cause I aint judging nobody. I have shot squirrels with deer slugs, stabbed bass with a knife, caught snakes with rod and reel, caught a mallard with a Lucky 13, and fed dill pickles to babies.
Kilt a 6# blue cat with a 12 gauge and dove load. We might should hunt together sometime. ;)

Back