• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You tubes Seek One and city bucks

Hogtooth

So I have been watching Seek One on you tube. Those guys are killing huge bucks mainly in Atlanta Georgia but other places too. When I watch I think to myself is this true are bucks this size in the suburbs. I have lived in the country all my my life except for 1 year. The Daniel Boone national forest is my back yard 708,000 acres of public hunting. I lived just outside of Atlanta for 1 year and deer hunted while I lived there. The deer I seen was the size of a German shepherds. They just posted last night a video of a 8 pointer killed that they said could weigh 300 lbs. How is this possible. A 200 lb buck where I live is considered large. Is it just me or do you guys ask yourself the same thing. Is this real, If so how are they so big?

You have patches of land where they live, especially where I live in Northern Virginia closer to DC. You’ll get power line, gas lines, etc where there’s enough forest for them to live. If you think about it, if the buck has every he needs water/shelter/food he doesn’t need to go far. I’ve seen some big bucks in and around Fairfax county and the surrounding counties.

You have patches of land where they live, especially where I live in Northern Virginia closer to DC. You’ll get power line, gas lines, etc where there’s enough forest for them to live. If you think about it, if the buck has every he needs water/shelter/food he doesn’t need to go far. I’ve seen some big bucks in and around Fairfax county and the surrounding counties.
I understand what you are saying but when I lived that year near Atlanta and hunted public the deer where so small and there wasn't many deer. I have lived in Ky the rest of the time 44 years to be exact and in the DBNF there are big deer but the terrain is so difficult and the pressure is so great there don't seem to be many.

It's definitely real--they've also hunted down some monsters in Tennessee and Kentucky recently. A HUGE part of their hunting success is tied to how hard they work in the offseason to locate these giants and then get permission to hunt them. Deer like the ones they hunt get that big because they're old, have good (enough) habitat, are hard to hunt based on property lines/permissions, and street-smart. Also, once those guys identify a deer they want to hunt, they'll do all sorts of stuff to boost that deer's health and antler growth.
It's a fascinating way to hunt, but definitely not the most relatable for average joes like you and me. That said, they inspired me to try to get hunting permission on small parcels right near my house in the suburbs, and now I'm hunting an 8- and a 9-pointer on a little 30-acre parcel just 5 minutes from my house. Pretty cool stuff.

There’s a couple fellas on the east side of Columbus OH that run cams on like 50+ properties, put corn piles on the best properties, and go shoot the biggest bucks with crossbows. Cams on 3 properties is one thing, scouting 50 properties is another.

So I have been watching Seek One on youtube. Those guys are killing huge bucks mainly in Atlanta Georgia but other places too. When I watch I think to myself is this true are bucks this size in the suburbs. I have lived in the country all my my life except for 1 year. The Daniel Boone national forest is my back yard 708,000 acres of public hunting. I lived just outside of Atlanta for 1 year and deer hunted while I lived there. The deer I seen was the size of a German shepherds. They just posted last night a video of a 8 pointer killed that they said could weigh 300 lbs. How is this possible. A 200 lb buck where I live is considered large. Is it just me or do you guys ask yourself the same thing. Is this real, If so how are they so big?
I have seen giant bucks in areas where there is no Public land and very few properties over a 1/4 of an acre. It is possible.
Remember deer have a lot longer of a lifespan than they usually live. I would not be surprised if there are giant old deer living in these suburbs.

I really wonder just how "urban" the areas they hunt around Atlanta actually are. That one video someone was building a housing addition next to where they hunted. That's not happening anywhere that I would call urban. I could see it in TN, as I lived in Nashville for 2 years and there are a lot of areas that are creek bottoms and gullies where a deer could live for years. Heck, at one Walmart I used to shop at they built the parking lot on top of a creek. - with bridges and everything. Every time I went there I was always looking for deer.

They kill big deer but there is zero appeal for me to shoot a deer of someone’s back patio. Biggest part of hunting for me is getting in the timber and away from people.
I agree 100% some of there shows you can see the people drinking coffee on there back porch. On several of them there is a house 10 ft from Lee's blind.

Dont know how long its been since you hunted there but there truly are some monster deer in those areas around Atlanta and even larger price tags in a lot of cases to be able to hunt those small patches of woods.

When I lived in columbus ohio me and a buddy for a few years would almost only hunt within the city limits and seeing 130's was very common, north columbus was by far the best GIANTS!!! Never killed a giant but seen them often

I know the KY buck they killed was legit they killed it rihht behind Rosehill Cemetary in Ashland KY...they went around telling everyone that they wer trying to shoot urban deer to donate the meat to the homeless or some crap to gain permission.

Last edited:
I know of a 190” buck killed pretty recently in the middle of a big city in Missouri. On a piece of land less than 10 acres. There’s some big suckers hidin in town

I think their YT channel sucks, but I can vouch for the giant deer in and around Atlanta, especially the Country Club of the South area. I used to survey in Atlanta on a regular basis and would go fish the Chattachoochie in the morning and evenings while down there. I would see HUGE bucks on a regular basis.

I won’t go so far as to say I wouldn’t hunt those deer given the opportunity because I damn sure would, but I can’t stand watching them do it. Maybe I’m just jealous,

I think their YT channel sucks, but I can vouch for the giant deer in and around Atlanta, especially the Country Club of the South area. I used to survey in Atlanta on a regular basis and would go fish the Chattachoochie in the morning and evenings while down there. I would see HUGE bucks on a regular basis.

I won’t go so far as to say I wouldn’t hunt those deer given the opportunity because I damn sure would, but I can’t stand watching them do it. Maybe I’m just jealous,
I know what your saying LOL. I use to hunt city deer regularly but watching them it just looks stupid however I wasn't sitting on people's back porches doing it and pretty certain atleast in Ohio you gotta be like 150ft from residents. We almost always hunted industrial areas because many of those big companies would always buy alot of Xtra land expecting to expand. Sometimes they do but often not and there sits 10 acres empty for years.

It's definitely real--they've also hunted down some monsters in Tennessee and Kentucky recently. A HUGE part of their hunting success is tied to how hard they work in the offseason to locate these giants and then get permission to hunt them. Deer like the ones they hunt get that big because they're old, have good (enough) habitat, are hard to hunt based on property lines/permissions, and street-smart. Also, once those guys identify a deer they want to hunt, they'll do all sorts of stuff to boost that deer's health and antler growth.
It's a fascinating way to hunt, but definitely not the most relatable for average joes like you and me. That said, they inspired me to try to get hunting permission on small parcels right near my house in the suburbs, and now I'm hunting an 8- and a 9-pointer on a little 30-acre parcel just 5 minutes from my house. Pretty cool stuff.

100% agree with everything you just said.

I know the KY buck they killed was legit they killed it rihht behind Rosehill Cemetary in Ashland KY...they went around telling everyone that they wer trying to shoot urban deer to donate the meat to the homeless or some crap to gain permission.
Are you serious. Being a My native and all

As a teenager, I had permission to hunt 80 acres that was right out side of city limits and surrounded by homes. The deer were in people's backyards all the time eating gardens and such. I could hear people telling their family good bye in the morning before work.

The deer acted differently and did not react to smell the same as other deer because they smelled humans all day. It is more akin to shooting than hunting. Sure, they knew where humans were more or less common, but it was way different than a buck in the true wild.

When I lived in columbus ohio me and a buddy for a few years would almost only hunt within the city limits and seeing 130's was very common, north columbus was by far the best GIANTS!!! Never killed a giant but seen them often

In 2016 they opened up a Cleveland suburb to bow hunting and I called like 20 property owners for permissions. When a guy with good properties gave me a yes it felt like winning the super bowl. There were five legit giants - a couple close to 200”- in or near the woods I was hunting, but they started disappearing fast, I’m guessing some folks were running corn and picking them off immediately. I never bagged a giant but I shot six deer in two years it was the best / easiest hunting I’ve ever done. But the big deer were still plenty challenging.

Back