• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Youth Bow Questions

hokiehunter373

Looking for input from anyone that's gotten their kids into shooting. What bow did you start with? What age did you start at? How slowly did you progress with things? I've got a 3yo who will be 4 right after Christmas. He has a toy bow that he likes to practice with, but gets pissed because the nock doesn't stay on the string when he draws. I don't want to rush/push/ him, but would like to encourage the sport if he has fun with it. I've heard of the Diamond Atomic and Bear Royale as well as some others. I want something that's light enough that he can comfortably use it and that could grow with him for a few years. He does have a little sister (6months) that he could eventually pass his bow down to. I'm not concerned about the bow having enough pulling power to eventually be able to hunt with but of course that's always a plus if he ends up choosing to want to hunt.

On top of that, are there releases that are best for kids?

Thanks in advance!

I have not had good results. Maybe you can do better than me. Here's what I wish I had.
Something they can pull.
The lightest arrow possible.
An arrow rest that holds it.
Some type of sighting system.
I started my kids early like you. Something would always mess up and take away from the fun. The arrow would fall off the rest, the nock would come off the string, they couldn't hit the target because they had no sights. One of my daughters got her thigh pinched in a cam. This year they are 9 and starting to get some real enjoyment out of it. Keep it as simple as possible and have a big, soft target.

Both my kids started with cheap recurves. Big soft target like Nathan said. Daughters 14 now we got her a mission craze used couple years ago it’s a good shooting little bow. Whisker biscuit cheap 3 pin sight and an old true fire release she does pretty good with it. It’s adjustable from 20 to 70 pounds I believe. My boys 8 this year he’s started shooting an old Browning I had I think it’s 20-50 lbs same setup as the craze whisker biscuit is key when they’re young. He just shoots cheap Walmart arrows that have the field tips glued on. Keep that big target close he has a lot of fun with it.

I started my son with a Diamond I think at 6 yrs old. Whisker biscuit full capture rest works well starting out. The bow came with a set of light limbs that I think went ~12 - 25lbs draw weight and a second set of heavier limbs that go up to about 50 lbs. DL can be adjusted without a press as he grows. Simple 3 pin sight.

He shot this rig through 7th grade when He lost interest in archery and moved on to firearms.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback
Also, if you are at all crafty, the diamond bows can be modified by cutting down the limbs where they go into the limb pockets with a dremel tool to shorten the brace height so that he can gain speed without having to pull so much weight. I bought a mission menace for my 10 year old and regret it, because his draw length is so short the bow will not be very good for him until he can pull more weight, or his draw length increases. The split limbs on the menace cannot be safely modified. My buddy has an 8 year old daughter killing deer with her bow at very low poundage because he shortened the brace height and her bow is much faster.

The string stop is a must on the back with the short brace height thoughC17439E0-1ACA-4534-B34B-CF5B79E6FC75.png

My little one also got angry at the arrow always falling off so I took my old arrows and cut them down. I then took the suction cup off his arrows and drilled them out to fit my arrows and glued them together, Now that arrow does not fall off because of the nock. He also has a Bear kids bow but get frustrated because the arrows don't stick in the target. He just turned 5 so at this point as long as he is shooting an having fun I just let him have at it. Form is not important at this age its more important that he enjoys it. So i keep the teaching down.

My little one also got angry at the arrow always falling off so I took my old arrows and cut them down. I then took the suction cup off his arrows and drilled them out to fit my arrows and glued them together, Now that arrow does not fall off because of the nock. He also has a Bear kids bow but get frustrated because the arrows don't stick in the target. He just turned 5 so at this point as long as he is shooting an having fun I just let him have at it. Form is not important at this age its more important that he enjoys it. So i keep the teaching down.

Yup, the only teaching I'm trying to do at this point is just how to stand but I'm not drilling him on the specifics of it. I don't care about any of that for now just want to encourage the sport while he's enjoying it. As he grows and develops patience we'll work on the finer details as needed

Got my 3 y/o a $22 Bear from Walmart, which is perfect for him. My 8 y/o got my Diamond when I upgraded to the VXR this year. The adjustability of the Infinite Edge was a perfect fit for her at a 17lb draw weight and 15 inch draw length. Add in some pink serving and a purple peep tube and she was thrilled. Once she's able to hold a draw for 20 seconds with good form, I turn the limb screws 1 full turn.

Back