• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Youth saddle hunters?

Knik

How many of you have put your youth hunter in a saddle and on the same tree as you? Any advice? Reason I ask is that I picked up a saddle and another Ridge Runner for my stepson, he's 15 and slender built. Figure I'll put the RR's back to back and keep him in the same tree as me, this way I can be facing him and have eyes on him all the time. Once he gets use to the technique and gear, then maybe get another set of sticks and put him up his own tree, next season that is. Any thoughts?

Set up so you’re on his weak side, you’ll be able to coach him without moving around much at all.
My kids love hanging out in their saddles with me, it’s way better than sitting back to back in tree stands.

Another little trick I use is attaching a lifeline to the base of the tree and climbing up first. Once I’m on my platform I attach the lifeline to the tree so he can climb without a lineman’s belt. Just have him clip in to a prussic like he would his tether and advance it while climbing up.

And take lots of pictures, you’re gonna want to remember all the fun you’ve had together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea on the lifeline, have several and didn't even think about using one.

We always take pictures on our outings, he actually just bought a really nice camcorder and I'm sure he'll want to take it.

My son will be 12 next month and he killed his first deer with a compound last year from the saddle. Preset sticks with a lifeline and my platform set about 90 degrees to his weak side worked out perfect. I was able to video and be right beside him. You will love it!

My son will be 12 next month and he killed his first deer with a compound last year from the saddle. Preset sticks with a lifeline and my platform set about 90 degrees to his weak side worked out perfect. I was able to video and be right beside him. You will love it!

Starting him out young, congratulations on his bow kill! That's fantastic! I can definitely do some presets with him. I actually have some ladder stands up on the lease that might work starting him out too, I'll have to think on that.

Starting him out young, congratulations on his bow kill! That's fantastic! I can definitely do some presets with him. I actually have some ladder stands up on the lease that might work starting him out too, I'll have to think on that.

Thanks! Here’s the video it might give you a little better idea on setup

That's AWESOME!!! Job well done!!!

I think your 90° setup is better than the 180° I was originally thinking about. Closer so I can whisper and if something comes in on his weak side by chance, I can still ease out of his way. Thanks for sharing the vid, hope to see more videos of him in the future.

Back