• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2016 Group Hunt Planning

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
The group hunt will be at Wayne National Forest in southeastern Ohio the last week of October this year. For starters, who is coming? Let's start planning this thing!

And away we go. I am planning on coming. The last week is best for me as I will be elk hunting in Idaho the second week. This will give me a chance to kiss my wife's hind end for a week between trips...... I am going to have to do a lot of spoiling to take two weeks out of the same month.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is it Wayne STATE forest, or Wayne NATIONAL forest?

I really hope I can make it. It's going to depend on whether or not my Brother and I end up going to Missouri the second week of November. If that happens, I won't be able to make this hunt.

redsquirrel said:
The group hunt will be at Wayne State Forest in southeastern Ohio the last week of October this year. For starters, who is coming? Let's start planning this thing!

What areas of the Wayne are ya'll considering? Our lease is in Meigs co close to the Gallia co line and there's over 7k acres of AEP land a mile or so away. I already have some spots marked on google earth just need to get boots on the ground. If anybody is gonna do a scouting trip hit me up and I'll try to come! I may not make the hunt but I'll help in any way I can!

OK. I just submitted my vacation for the week.

If folks want to do some winter/spring scouting I'm in. For those who are serious, you will want to book your hotel room early. For those scouting, we could look into a house/cabin rental for a week. Would probably be cheaper than multiple hotel rooms would end up costing. And if we get one that has a little yard, grill and outdoor fire pit it could be fun.

flinginairos said:
redsquirrel said:
The group hunt will be at Wayne State Forest in southeastern Ohio the last week of October this year. For starters, who is coming? Let's start planning this thing!

What areas of the Wayne are ya'll considering? Our lease is in Meigs co close to the Gallia co line and there's over 7k acres of AEP land a mile or so away. I already have some spots marked on google earth just need to get boots on the ground. If anybody is gonna do a scouting trip hit me up and I'll try to come! I may not make the hunt but I'll help in any way I can!

If we get a scouting trip together, I want to check out your Sit Drag post-mods.

Where are you looking for hotels? Is there a campground nearby?

If anybody wants to do a scouting mission in March or sometime around there I would try and make it. It's roughly a 3 hour drive to most of the SE areas for me. I will say the Wayne is BIG and lots of private land mixed in. I scouted an area several years ago but honestly can't remember where it was since I never hunted it :lol: I may not be able to do a full weeks hunt but since I live close I may hang out for a long weekend!

Erniepower said:
And away we go. I am planning on coming. The last week is best for me as I will be elk hunting in Idaho the second week. This will give me a chance to kiss my wife's hind end for a week between trips...... I am going to have to do a lot of spoiling to take two weeks out of the same month.....

I'm going to have to kiss butt all year just to do this lol. Plus make sure we have Grandmother's in place to help my wife with the baby that week.

g2outdoors said:
Is it Wayne STATE forest, or Wayne NATIONAL forest?

I really hope I can make it. It's going to depend on whether or not my Brother and I end up going to Missouri the second week of November. If that happens, I won't be able to make this hunt.
Corrected to Wayne National. Thanks, that't what happens when I post before I've had my coffee on a Friday morning.
flinginairos said:
redsquirrel said:

I'm not sure where yet, but that is one of the first things we'll work out. Even if you don't get to hunt it would be cool to meet up at some point :cool:

Erniepower said:
Where are you looking for hotels? Is there a campground nearby?

I was hoping to camp. When we figure out exactly where we are going we can try to find a campground. I believe there is primitive camping allowed also so we could do that or even split it up with staying somewhere else to break up the costs if needed. Lots of options and we can work them out :cool:

I know some guys that have killed some real slammers on Ohio public land. A buddy of mine hunted AEP land last year for four days, saw three bucks close to the 140" mark and ended up killing a decent eight. He went in completely blind, never scouted at all and the first day rattled in one of the bigger ones he saw. Exciting place to hunt for sure, you just never know what you will see.

I've never hunted in Ohio, but I killed my biggest buck to date just next door in Indiana right on Ohio state line...actually on the Indiana side of the road that separates the two states.

The last week of October is a FANTASTIC time to be in the Ohio hardwoods. There is a legit possibility that someone could kill a booner.

g2outdoors said:
I've never hunted in Ohio, but I killed my biggest buck to date just next door in Indiana right on Ohio state line...actually on the Indiana side of the road that separates the two states.

The last week of October is a FANTASTIC time to be in the Ohio hardwoods. There is a legit possibility that someone could kill a booner.

Somebody will kill a good one or at least have a chance at one I bet! One thing I've found hunting Ohio, you might not see a big number of deer hunting the big thick timber, but when you do it's normally a buck and chances are its a pretty decent one. I see way more bucks than does, on our lease anyways!

redsquirrel said:
I was hoping to camp. When we figure out exactly where we are going we can try to find a campground. I believe there is primitive camping allowed also so we could do that or even split it up with staying somewhere else to break up the costs if needed. Lots of options and we can work them out :cool:
1. I'm on board with camping. I know in some national forests you can camp anywhere, but a campground or cabin would be a good central meeting place. Otherwise it becomes less of a group hunt and 10 individuals chasing deer separately. I am tentatively planning on hunting Wednesday- Sunday and will scout a few locations that I narrow down from maps the day I arrive.

2. Need to understand license procedure for buck and doe tags (OTC or lottery?) as wel as if there are any public land restrictions for non-residents (shouldn't be since it's a national forest). Also should know how close to or if it falls during a gun or muzzleloder season, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prill87 said:
redsquirrel said:
1. I'm on board with camping. I know in some national forests you can camp anywhere, but a campground or cabin would be a good central meeting place. Otherwise it becomes less of a group hunt and 10 individuals chasing deer separately. I am tentatively planning on hunting Wednesday- Sunday and will scout a few locations that I narrow down from maps the day I arrive.

2. Need to understand license procedure for buck and doe tags (OTC or lottery?) as wel as if there are any public land restrictions for non-residents (shouldn't be since it's a national forest). Also should know how close to or if it falls during a gun or muzzleloder season, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All OTC, no restrictions that I know of. Just buy your tags and go. Very simple :cool:

Does anyone live close to Wayne National Forest?

A few things need to be answered .

What are local hotels or cabins cost??
Would we have a meeting place to discuss the hunts,saddle talk,etc.
Will everyone stay at the same hotel or cabin area?
I'm guessing most of us don't no each other so I suggest getting your hotel going in on a cabin.
Local Food stores.
Place to skin deer or local butcher.
Will we be hunting the same areas and where to get maps?

I live 8 hours away so I won't be able to come scout early. But if we had someone who stayed close to help point us in the right directions would be great. These are just a few issues we could discuss

Please chime in

I saw 1stchoicecabinrentals.com online. I guess we have to find out which area to stay in and go from there.

I started looking around. The Wayne National Forest is pretty huge. Do we have a town or area we want to start from. Personally i would prefer if we were all in the same general area as well. The point is to have this be a group hunt. Camping or cabins in my mind are ideal. Its hard to have a campfire at a hotel. And I know flinging wants every opportunity to get smoke on his clothes :)

I apparrantly have nothing better to do and just read the entire Ohio hunting regulations document. Tags and licenses look pretty straightforward. OTC with two either sex tags per person and only one can be used for a buck.

It looks like the forest is full of ATV trails for those who want access with camping at the trailheads.

I didn't see any mention on what to do if you have to cut up an animal to get it out of the woods. tagging, proof of sex etc. ( I only mention this because I got cited in Idaho a couple of years ago for not doing this part correctly. Its a long story but if anyone is interested, I can elaborate.)

Lots of great questions here guys, but lets get some of the basic stuff out of the way first. Ohio made the list because of the availability of tags so that isn't an issue.

1. First we need to figure out where we are going. See the map I'm posting below. There are 3 areas we can choose from. We should choose 1 area and all go there. At a glance I would say one of the 2 western areas because they appear to have a little more and more continuous stretches of the National Forest in them.
2. After we figure that out, we can figure out "housing". I would prefer to camp or a cabin rental would be nice if possible. If we can find a campground that would be nice because they would hopefully have amenities, but camping on the National forest is also an option. Depending on the amount of people in the group we might need to get a group permit, but we could all camp together at a trailhead. This is a nice option because it would put us right in the thick of things, not to mention is would be the cheapest option.

I'm also going to list the attendees and possible attendees and any important information under my first post as we get this worked out.

I found a good place cabin for us to stay with plenty of room. do a search for GRANDE BUTTE LODGE | HOCKING HILLS. It sleeps 20 people, 7 bedrooms and 3.5 bedrooms. VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Back