• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

8mm samson ultra tech

JWS

I saw a couple guys on here saying they were trying out samson ultra tech for bridges etc so I decided to try the 8mm for prusik cordage etc. It seems super strong as advertised and is a bit stiffer than the 8mm cordage I have bought in the past but this stuff is terrible to cut. With all of the other ropes I've had in the past if I heat a real sharp blade, tape where I'm cutting and then heat the cut end the sheath melts to the inner fibers. This stuff doesn't. I've tried a few different ways and the sheath just shrinks back without bonding to the core. Even hit the end with a torch in an attempt to bond the ends. The color sucks as well. Blue and maroon which I would tolerate if the stuff performed the way I expected. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I doubt it. Would not recommend this stuff. Anybody in the south shore of mass is welcome to it I'd they want it. Probably around 35' left. Pm me if interested.

Arborist prusik cords are designed to be extremely heat resistant because of the abuse they take in day to day work. An arbo probably puts a hunting seasons worth of use on a cord in a busy day so that's why they're built the way they are.

Last edited:
Red said same thing, the ultratech can't be melted. However once your past that, he said its great rope.

I saw a couple guys on here saying they were trying out samson ultra tech for bridges etc so I decided to try the 8mm for prusik cordage etc. It seems super strong as advertised and is a bit stiffer than the 8mm cordage I have bought in the past but this stuff is terrible to cut. With all of the other ropes I've had in the past if I heat a real sharp blade, tape where I'm cutting and then heat the cut end the sheath melts to the inner fibers. This stuff doesn't. I've tried a few different ways and the sheath just shrinks back without bonding to the core. Even hit the end with a torch in an attempt to bond the ends. The color sucks as well. Blue and maroon which I would tolerate if the stuff performed the way I expected. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I doubt it. Would not recommend this stuff. Anybody in the south shore of mass is welcome to it I'd they want it. Probably around 35' left. Pm me if interested.
For color, I'm using the 9mm stuff which comes in green/red and is a great color for the woods. You are right about cutting it but there is an easy way around that. I used electrical tape to wrap up tight the area I wanted to cut. I then used a pair of sharp scissors and cut through the middle of the tape, this made the cut much easier and keep it from fraying. I covered the entire open in with goop, let it dry and the stuff is awesome. It is not worth trying to burn the ends, it just won't work, i tried too.

000dc8292c429ded45cdeb7128eb3f2a.jpg

a0ae08364224c2f689cd1689bd29f431.jpg

I use it for my tether and bridge and I love it for that application.

I got the 11,9,and 8mm. The 11 is a reddish color which will work well for hunting as deer have issues seeing red. This is factual before any nay sayers I have tested red leds in the past and they are not bothered by it. You are right crazy strong and a pain to cut. I used a havalon and cut along the taped end. I then dip the line in whip dip about an inch to seal the ends. Once this fully cured I shrink wrapped the ends for extra durability. I am extremely impressed with this cord and it should work extremely well with what we do and last a long time.

I got the 11,9,and 8mm. The 11 is a reddish color which will work well for hunting as deer have issues seeing red. This is factual before any nay sayers I have tested red leds in the past and they are not bothered by it. You are right crazy strong and a pain to cut. I used a havalon and cut along the taped end. I then dip the line in whip dip about an inch to seal the ends. Once this fully cured I shrink wrapped the ends for extra durability. I am extremely impressed with this cord and it should work extremely well with what we do and last a long time.
I definitely wouldn't buy the 8 mm again and would probably opt for the sherrill snake bite or something similar going up in size as its still very strong, light, and easier to work with. Didn't realize it was blue/red at the time when I bought it. I did try what Red suggested and put gorilla glue/superglue on the ends which works but is an extra step.

I definitely wouldn't buy the 8 mm again and would probably opt for the sherrill snake bite or something similar going up in size as its still very strong, light, and easier to work with. Didn't realize it was blue/red at the time when I bought it. I did try what Red suggested and put gorilla glue/superglue on the ends which works but is an extra step.

Just curious but whats the issue with the color?

Back