• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aiders for Sticks

justsomedude

I've just tied webbing loops and it wasn't terrible. I only used them on my bottom stick.

Has anyone tried using pipe insulation and wrapping in tape? Gorilla tape would probably do the job.

Forty years ago, I might have tried adders but not today.... I'd be afraid of how I'd end up...

cWF2c6y.jpg

I've only used it to gain one step and it wasn't really worth it. If I gained two steps and didn't feel like that squirrel.....

I think even just one DIY webbing aider on the bottom of every stick is a huge gain.

And I hope I never end up like that red squirrel! :eek:

I made some to start with and never liked them. I bought a set from Black Diamond and they work great. Been using them three years now and I have no problems climbing them in the dark. Well worth the money.

I don't climb high...if I could just use 3 mini sticks with one loop on each comfortably that would be nice.

But if I can have a more comfortable and safer climb for just 3 pounds of one more stick....

Dave suggested small plastic water pipe. I found some at homedepot/lowes and it works great. A single step, no problem, but multiple like my 5 step black diamond is way to scary for me.

I made some to start with and never liked them. I bought a set from Black Diamond and they work great. Been using them three years now and I have no problems climbing them in the dark. Well worth the money.
Is it a 5 step? Are you doing a one stick climb method?

I have a portable pocket aider and it is terrible on a tree.
A single loop the size of a metolius easy aider would be nice but they are $35 and we don't need the adjustments.

Dave suggested small plastic water pipe. I found some at homedepot/lowes and it works great. A single step, no problem, but multiple like my 5 step black diamond is way to scary for me.
I have some plastic conduit and some 6 and 7mm accessory rope I can experiment with

Is it a 5 step? Are you doing a one stick climb method?

I have a portable pocket aider and it is terrible on a tree.
A single loop the size of a metolius easy aider would be nice but they are $35 and we don't need the adjustments.

Yes five step and I do the one stick method.

I use the 3 step aider from cmi. A couple things to remember with aiders well at least in my experience. First you attach them over the stick bracket and slide them over the first step(s) this helps to keep them off the tree. When I put my foot in i try to stay inline with the tree and use my toe to keep me straight so I don't slip side to side. The only issue is with the cmi ones is they come in multiple colors which you have no control what colors you get. So I got some ritz dye and darkened them up.

For years I used 3 muddy sticks with 5 step aiders. Alot of times it only to two to get high enough

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

View attachment 1288 I'm going to try a rope loop in the morning
Since you are using double stepped sticks, try tying a loop in each end of a length of webbing (fool around to get the length right after knots). Pull the webbing through the loop on both ends and pull it over the end of the step on both sides. This will keep it wide and off the tree. I started doing this this year and it works way better than when I used aiders with my lone wolfs.

I use the 3 step aider from cmi. A couple things to remember with aiders well at least in my experience. First you attach them over the stick bracket and slide them over the first step(s) this helps to keep them off the tree. When I put my foot in i try to stay inline with the tree and use my toe to keep me straight so I don't slip side to side. The only issue is with the cmi ones is they come in multiple colors which you have no control what colors you get. So I got some ritz dye and darkened them up.
Yes. Exactly what he said.

Also clear plastic/pvc plumbing tubing works great for the aiders. It's silent and very light.

I just put some Flo Orange duct tape on the bottoms to keep them open (single Loops of webbing).
I also tied one 2 Step with alternating sides like the one DIY Sportsmen shows on YouTube. Woks great but I don't know how long the tape will hold up.

Need to do a home depot trip and get some of the pipe

I made mine out of 1" tubular webbing and slid a 12" piece of 11mm rope inside before tying it up. the rope is stiff enough to keep it open and flexible enough where if I had to I could squeeze it closed.

if you zoom in on this pic, you can see the aider on the bottom of the second stick...it happened to fall right at the junction of the forked trunks, so I had to kick it off to the side a tiny bit. was easy to get my boot in and had no kick or twist of the stick even though it was loaded to the side.

Back