• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another tree stand fall.

It's so common. I still have folks tell me "I don't wear a harness because I only hunt 15 feet up"......
Probably the same idiots that don’t wear a seatbelt bc they know a guy that would’ve died in his crash if he had it on. I’ve hit the ground from around 18’ ft before and I’ve had the bottom of a stand fall out with harness on and buddy I tell you I’d take the harness any day of the week over the ground.

When I was a kid my brother and I would climb little trees and “ride” them over and one day we both climbed a bigger than we should’ve white pine. We got that sucker swaying and let our feet go to pull it over and let ourselves to the ground. Everything was going great until the flex was all gone and SNAP. Don’t you know that was a hell of a ride to the ground. When that sucker broke it was like it generated propulsion and bitch whipped us 15’ or so to the ground. We both landed flat of back on the ground and laid there for a good while trying to catch our breath. Air was everywhere around us except in our lungs. That was the last tree either one of us every tried to “ride” over a tree. I imagine now a fall like that would take us out. Crazy how being young makes us so stupid stuff.

I had a 6 foot aluminum step ladder kick out on me one day. My wife found me behind the camper wadded up in the 57 stone like a piece of crumpled paper trying to look cool and unhurt. I was neither cool nor unhurt. If a 15 foot fall feels worse than that I don't want no part of it.

When I was a kid my brother and I would climb little trees and “ride” them over and one day we both climbed a bigger than we should’ve white pine. We got that sucker swaying and let our feet go to pull it over and let ourselves to the ground. Everything was going great until the flex was all gone and SNAP. Don’t you know that was a hell of a ride to the ground. When that sucker broke it was like it generated propulsion and bitch whipped us 15’ or so to the ground. We both landed flat of back on the ground and laid there for a good while trying to catch our breath. Air was everywhere around us except in our lungs. That was the last tree either one of us every tried to “ride” over a tree. I imagine now a fall like that would take us out. Crazy how being young makes us so stupid stuff.

We called that "skinnin' cats" and it was a ton of fun.

I was putting some stickers on the back glass of my pickup one time. Backed up from the glass to check sticker alignment, the top of the tailgate caught me right behind my knees and sent me over the back. Landed on the ground flat on my back, head then hit the gravel. Was knocked out briefly then remember the panic of trying to suck in air. Fortunately no lasting injuries. Like the rest of you, if that short of a fall felt like that, I do not want to experience anything more, or even close to that.

I’ve fallen out of a tree so many times I can’t count. That said I always wear a harness or a saddle now. I once fell off a roof 3 times in one day. It was a single story ranch with not much pitch. It was the 1st time I was ever on a metal roof, and I was getting paid $10 hr under the table to replaces screws. I thought that was good money at the time. When you hit you gotta roll, the splat from trying to stay upright is what causes immediate damage.

I fell off a roof about 10 feet when I was in my twenties. Landed flat of my back. Absolutely knocked the wind out of me. The next day I was so sore I could hardly move. I just laid in bed, and it hurt to blink. A fall like that would likely kill me today.

I still do that sometimes but it's so I can trim branches for shooting lanes. Lol.

Only scary fall I had was stepping off roof onto aluminum extension ladder and it slipped . I landed on concrete steps and did a beautiful Aikido roll allowing only bruises vs breaks. I was in my early 60's and the attending E.R. PA called me superman. I have a couple of friends that use the line " I am only up x amount of feet so I don't wear any fall restraint ". If one does a search on fatal falls @10' or less they would be shocked. It not so much about the fall as the sudden stop- gravity is not your friend in this regard.

Back