• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast sticks vs all others?

Ridgerunner7

Anyone that’s used most versions what do you thing? + or - of any versions? I got some beast sticks and am loving the double step. They grip awesome but have squeaked bad on certain tree barks because they are so sharp. I’ve only used LW to compare. Any thoughts on guys that have used them all year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used beast but I use Hawk Helium's and love them for the double step. According to reviews the Beast stick/grip to the tree the best of any climbing stick. To be honest I don't think I could ever use a stick without the double step its worth the extra weight....all though beasts are lighter then hawks. If you have the money beasts are probably better...that said I also like to be able to fold my steps in and be out of the way.

Do you miss the 10" that you lost with the LW?

That's the only reason I havnt gotten any beast sticks. I used the muddy sticks for awhile but didn't like the short sticks. Had Hawk Ranger sticks, but they were too heavy (4lbs each). Tried all kinds of strap on steps, but too cumbersome. Now that guys are fabricating mods for sticks, I think that this is the best route. I plan on getting some double steps from somewhere and modding my LWs.

Andy I have a set - but I haven't used them much. I guess I am just too comfortable with the Heliums I modified. I will say that I have had the steps on my heliums squeak at times I fixed that with bow wax. I have never had the tree bracket squeak because of bark though - at least not to my knowledge. Those beast sticks are nice but personally I plan on taking a file to the tree brackets as they tear trees up too bad IMO as is

I have had lone wolf, Hawk helium’s, XOP’s. and beast sticks.

XOP’s are good if you have a large foot. However they are heavy. I had the locking mechanism break on 3 of the 4 steps. Just a pin holding the T onto the bolt. Single step

Lone Wolf are a good step if you have smaller feet. Again a single step.

Hawk Helium are good if you a regular size man. I felt them flexing under foot. I weigh 280 lbs.

The Beast Sticks are incredible. They are 2’ Long with a 22” step. They bite the tree and do not move. Personally I would prefer a 20” step. However, they get the nod. They are the best built sticks I have ever used. I cannot see myself using another step. They truly are the best made. They are the Cadillac of Sticks.

I only have the Heliums. Modded with ropes and cut down.

The Beast offsets squeaking is interesting. I assume on hard, smoother bark like red oaks, smooth hickory? My Heliums do that, but I saw someone claim that the Beast sticks would not. I doubted that claim very highly. The squeak is not bad if you are careful and deliberate climbing. Like many things noise related, acting like a bull in a china closet I suppose you could make it bad. People really exaggerate how bad noises are, or maybe they are just careless, or overly paranoid and don’t know how much you can get away with 50 yards from a bedded buck…I don’t know.

I wouldn’t even begin to consider single-step sticks for climbing utility.

I like the folding steps for the better packability. Well worth the weight penalty to me personally. That’s the factor that rules out Beast sticks for me.

Even if the Beast sticks are better, are they $50 per stick better? I don’t know, my Heliums are pretty awesome. But good for Dan and I am really looking forward to his stand. That one I am planning to probably spring for.

would buy a set of the beast sticks, but my step is only 20 inches max. I have tried stepping up to the 22" mark, that is difficult. Wish they would make an adjustable beast stick for us with a shorter step.

I'm with @DaveT1963 on the tearing up the trees. I have been using a set of leverage sticks and their tree bracket is very dull(non scarring). IF you're a "beast hunter" Why would you want to leave sign behind when you leave?

I know my leverages really lock in when I slide them down. I don't know that the tree brackets have much to do with that, I believe its the rope just preventing them from sliding down anymore.

would buy a set of the beast sticks, but my step is only 20 inches max. I have tried stepping up to the 22" mark, that is difficult. Wish they would make an adjustable beast stick for us with a shorter step.
They had to choose a length. I don't think adjustable is feasible, but with sufficient volume something like 2-3 lengths could work in theory. Or just DIY/mod. I'd probably consider slightly longer, pending packability. Sticks are kind of a love/hate deal - quick and easy to set up and use, but that's because they're flat-out big and bulky and force changes like carrying a larger/bulkier pack, etc.

The secret to getting a longer step is to lean back in your lineman's belt..... that and work on it with some stretching throughout the year. No way I could step 24 inches without doing both.

I'm with @DaveT1963 on the tearing up the trees. I have been using a set of leverage sticks and their tree bracket is very dull(non scarring). IF you're a "beast hunter" Why would you want to leave sign behind when you leave?

I know my leverages really lock in when I slide them down. I don't know that the tree brackets have much to do with that, I believe its the rope just preventing them from sliding down anymore.
Honestly I have seen much less bark damage with Beast sticks the last two seasons compared to my LW sticks I used the previous 8 years. LW sticks were terrible in this regard. The bite with Beast sticks is so good with the brackets being so sharp that they just do not slip down when attached properly. Many times I remove the strap and the stick is still stuck on the tree. Other than a few very light puncture marks I can’t say I have ever left a tree concerned about the sign from scarring I left behind. Maybe I hunt out of different types of trees with harder bark than you guys but haven’t seen it on any that I set up in. I wonder if you guys are not setting them properly. After the strap is tight pull the bottom of the stick out and pull down on the stick again while tightening the strap to remove all slack. When set properly they will not slip down when you step onto them.

I can definitely see what you're saying, Dewey. I will agree that the problem could be the sticks not being sat up right. Specifically, not sliding them down with the bottom out. I believe most of the cutting will come from the bottom standoff anyways.

I can definitely see what you're saying, Dewey. I will agree that the problem could be the sticks not being sat up right. Specifically, not sliding them down with the bottom out. I believe most of the cutting will come from the bottom standoff anyways.

Actually I dont think you slide the stick down with the bottom off the tree. We used to pull out on the bottom of the stick to stretch the strap and crush any loose bark. Then pull on the strap as you lower the bottom back to the tree. Then when you pull down, the stick barely moves.

I own or have owned
Beast sticks
Home made sticks
Muddy sticks
Lone wolf sticks
Aero lites sticks
Helium sticks

Limited budget. Buy Helium’s
Weight make your own or beast sticks
Packability. Depends on how you carry them With my jx3 hybrid I like the beast sticks
Some pack wide and some long
Some pack quieter because they pack tight - beast sticks are best for packing short and tight
Safety helium’s or beast sticks
Double steps are the best for sure
Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive only used heliums and LW. Since I sharpened my brackets on my Heliums they bite the tree incredibly well. Hit them with a course belt sander and you are gtg! Cut them down and carefully plan the versa buttons and they stack quite nicely with the bungee and ball that comes with them. At 3 for the same price as one beast stick its hard for me to justify trying them.

I lightly filed the very sharp edges on my Beast sticks because the tree brackets were a little too sharp for me. After gouging a few fingers when accidentaly bumping them that was enough. Even though they aren’t razor sharp they still bite on the tree just fine.

I lightly filed the very sharp edges on my Beast sticks because the tree brackets were a little too sharp for me. After gouging a few fingers when accidentaly bumping them that was enough. Even though they aren’t razor sharp they still bite on the tree just fine.

x2

Seems to be the only complaint on the Beast stick is they are sharp but I guess its a good complaint to have. After the season I am going to try to put a little edge on the heliums in hopes of getting a better bit

Back