• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Pack for Saddle Hunting

TimK

Hey guys,

I'm new to saddle hunting, and completely switching over all of my gear from being a preset stand, or hang on stand hunter, to being a mobile hunter. I've purchased Wild Edge Stepps and now I'm looking into Pack options. Wondering if any of you have a suggestion? I've been using my Mystery Ranch Pintler pack, but I feel it's too big, and now I won't be strapping on sticks or a stand, so I don't need something quite so large. Also, I want to limit my silhouette in the tree so I'm looking for something smaller. The two I've looked at is the ASAT Coyote Fanny Pack, and the KUIU Venture 1800. Mystery Ranch makes the treehouse but it's a lot of $$. Just looking for thoughts, since I live in the middle of nowhere all my purchases are online, and I really don't get the opportunity to look at things in person. Thanks a lot!

If you're already a Mystery Ranch guy look into the Pop up 18, it seems to be getting some attention in the saddle community. Pretty small and compact. I believe there are a couple of youtube videos of people showing their setups with them. Also a frame pack in the event you want to quarter out your harvest. I think on Mystery ranches website they are going for around $279.00 but Optic Planet seems to be running a sale on them for some where around $180-$200.

I have been using a mystery ranch crest pack. It’s nice little pack.

I am interested in the new Sitka fanatic pack but cannot find much info on it.

I am looking at the ALPs Outdoors willow creek.

Might be a little small. I like the kangaroo pocket for easy platform access.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZXKIH...olid=1R5RDF3CY9WBU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
7d5b08f9ef254d29c1d033c4b3fcad60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been eye balling the Mystery Ranch Treehouse. Any of you ladies and gents use it? I like the square layout and the apparent functionality when in the tree. I have a sitka tool bucket now that works pretty well...just want a little more capacity. So the tool bucket will be in the classifieds soon. hint hint.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/treehouse-pack

I've been eye balling the Mystery Ranch Treehouse. Any of you ladies and gents use it? I like the square layout and the apparent functionality when in the tree. I have a sitka tool bucket now that works pretty well...just want a little more capacity. So the tool bucket will be in the classifieds soon. hint hint.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/treehouse-pack
I tried it, wasn't for me. Nice bag, just not low enough profile for me.

Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 when its warmer
EXO 3500 when its colder

I tried to bring the least amount of crap into the woods so the perfect pack for me right now is Tenzing tz1200. Has a pouch perfect for the predator platform and enough room for what I bring. It is really lightweight and has a small profile

I purchased the Tenzing tx17 and just arrived. Just out of the box I think this will be a really good pack, plenty of room for everything and seems well constructed.

I just purchased a Willow Creek pack. I like the smallness and pouch idea. I’ll check out Kyler’s mods. Thanks guys.

Hope this helps! This is what I use and I know a couple other people have purchased! Works great.

I love my discontinued Badlands Silent Reaper, and wish more manufacurers had well made, soft frame, fleece packs. Kathy Kelly and Day One are the only ones I'm aware of, and they aren't cheap. I'd also like to see a neoprene pack. I think that would be tough, quiet, and hold shape well.

Here’s my setup for 2019. I didn’t use it in 2018 so don’t know if there will be any issues.But in theory, I’m loving it. I have the game plan crossover pack with 3 hawk helium sticks and the predator platform. No bungies or clips needed. Planning on using the pack to carry my bow up with me in the initial climb.

FA9C8463-AFBD-4724-8A93-7FA5E3E0299D.png62EC0D8C-AB27-4E14-9559-60EC0D29E414.png

Here’s my setup for 2019. I didn’t use it in 2018 so don’t know if there will be any issues.But in theory, I’m loving it. I have the game plan crossover pack with 3 hawk helium sticks and the predator platform. No bungies or clips needed. Planning on using the pack to carry my bow up with me in the initial climb.

View attachment 10483View attachment 10484

That looks like the ticket right there. I like how you use the knee pad to keep the steps and platform separate.

How do you strap you sticks and platform? Looks like a good option. Out of my budget for now though.

I picked it up at a show for $110. Didn't realize what a great deal it was.

The platform goes closest to the pack then the sticks. Haven't hunted with it yet but seems like it will work well.
5b41d8c317106e85fd58470d40cf9907.jpg
d63eb652d7e58f5ae36b95252ff6f325.jpg
6d0dd5b3220f80947d055f5ba4d7f3a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back