• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best platform

Nolehoe

Bought an evolution last year (and now they come out with the kestrel) but didn't get a chance to use it so this will be my first year in the saddle. What is the general consensus on the the best platform. Ameristep, stepp ladder, Ernies kit, or should I make one out of the climb paws I have on hand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

All of the above. It depends on what your goal is and your hunting style. I really like the handclimber seat as a platform. The DaveT and Ernie platforms are nice as well. They both add weight and bulk. The ameristep are light, fairly compact but not the most comfortable if you like to spend much time leaning. I'm going to try the stepp ladder this year and see how I like it both for climbing and a platform.

Ameristeps on a strap are actually pretty bulky because they don't get flat. I used to either wrap mine around my sticks or loop the strap and sling it over my neck
Platform builds actually seem easier to pack into/onto a backpack

What do you have? If you just have climbpaws I would start with them. Ameristeps or the xop platform are going to cost you 100 bucks or more. Start with what you have and get comfortable. Once you are comfortable and know what you want out of your system, you can branch out from there.

Lookin for stability ability to do some leaning and efficiency in regard to set up. Mobility isnt a concern as i dont have to do any long hikes. Private land

Kinda leaning towards an ernie kit

What do you have? If you just have climbpaws I would start with them. Ameristeps or the xop platform are going to cost you 100 bucks or more. Start with what you have and get comfortable. Once you are comfortable and know what you want out of your system, you can branch out from there.
Just have climb paws at the moment, platform wise

How many paws? 3 or 4 on a single strap with an over center buckle is extremely comfortable. Ameristeps are less bulky, not as comfortable. Be careful not to get the recall version.

XOP Climber Seat is very very comfortable. A little trickier to get around the tree but you can. I have some foot/back issues and the XOP makes it ok.

Tried four paws on a ratchet strap but seemed like the wanted to walk down the tree when I alternated weight on opposing paws when I tested them. Sounds like Ernies XOP is hard to beat

Tried four paws on a ratchet strap but seemed like the wanted to walk down the tree when I alternated weight on opposing paws when I tested them. Sounds like Ernies XOP is hard to beat

That's the exact issue I had with the steps on a single strap. No matter how much I tightened the strap they would walk down the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to do about 50/50 DaveT platform and Stepp ladder steps this year. My DaveT platform has developed a clicking sound when I shift weight from the leveler bolt head gouging into the aluminum bar. I might have to find a way to re-work it before season.

Ernie's XOP platform is the most comfortable.

I find myself using Ameristeps and the top rung of my last climbing stick when I can preset. If I'm using screw-up, I'll use 4 or 5 Ameristeps. If I'm mobile, I'll use the XOP platform.

Pros and cons of every option.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Guys,

How does the xop handlimber seat handle side loading / walking around the tree?

Could you put a cam buck strap on the back side / bottom to prevent slipping- especially when doing a full 180 and side loading from the back side with one foot?

Guys,

How does the xop handlimber seat handle side loading / walking around the tree?

Could you put a cam buck strap on the back side / bottom to prevent slipping- especially when doing a full 180 and side loading from the back side with one foot?

Rock solid. I only use a whoopie sling made of amsteel and I push off the side of mine all the time. The cam action of the rope gets it insanely tight to the tree.

Rock solid. I only use a whoopie sling made of amsteel and I push off the side of mine all the time. The cam action of the rope gets it insanely tight to the tree.

He was asking about the hand climber seat. You're just using the ernie xop seat aren't you?

Back