• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best/Quick solution for platform

Hawk

Sep 27, 2016
So my GW isn't here yet but I've been trying to do some reading on different climbing methods and platforms people like to use. My problem is what to do in the short term until I find a suitable platform. I have thought about the climb paws but on their website it says temporarily out of stock so I wouldn't have them in the near future. The LW assassin platform and Ameristep rope steps are both discontinued so I would have to find one of them for sale (again not a short-term solution). So given the most talked about options are not available in the short term what would you guys recommend for a newbie? Would you use the top of one of my LW sticks as part of the platform or would you get some Cranford steps above the top stick and place them around the tree for a platform? Also one question I had for future reference on the Ameristep platform is are the steps all sold as part of the platform or have people strung 4 steps or so on the strap and then fastened them to a tree? I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for if its all one piece or multiple steps I'll have to put together. Thanks

romadrome

Nov 22, 2014
Man you're going through exactly what I did last year. I found some leverage 17" sticks. They worked ok since they had a step on each side but was limited to just that little area. Where I hunt no screw ins are allowed so I got more familiar with straps. I'm thinking about building one of the light platforms that the guys are using but I found a bunch of steps locally and have been using them as a platform, and liking it. I currently use two ameristeps along with a Jim stepps and I've enjoyed it so far. Thinking about adding a third.
The ameristeps are one per strap and you cut others off their straps and run them along the single.
No matter what you get you'll figure out what you do and don't like. It's been ever evolving for me and I am enjoying the hell out of saddle hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
The easiest is the top double step of a stick. Muddy sticks and a few others have a dual top step. I DIYd a double step for my Lone Wolf sticks and it works great.

Add a couple screw in steps or Ameristeps on a ratchet or boat buckle and you're in business.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
Ameristeps are relatively easy to come by. Expect to pay 20-25 per step.

Hawk

Sep 27, 2016
So far I have just used screw in steps as my platform. They have worked but at times I've struggled to get them started in the tree (not to mention their noise) and feel like this may become more of an issue with colder weather approaching. It appears climb paws is always out of stock so they're not in consideration anymore and I'm not sure how to tell if the Ameristep rope steps are the recalled bunch or not. I had never heard of the stealth steps before but they seem to be similar to climb paws except they've figured out how to make them compact for transport. The one thing I noticed on their website was they recommended only stepping on them with your toes facing the tree so as you maneuver around the tree I would assume these steps could become unstable? Justsomedude have you had experience with these? I have looked more into the stepp ladder as I had never heard of them before. Anyone try these for platforms or have any issues with them making noise or being unstable as you maneuver around the tree?

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
There are reviews of the stealth steps here that weren't great. Unstable, slow to set up and 'flimsy' as I recall.

The Stepp is probably the easiest to get and most stable (once you get use to the setup) other than screw ins.

If you were ok with only two steps, I have a set of Top Paws on one good strap I could sell you. They are very comfortable. If you combine them with the top of a climbing stick, you can get around the tree.

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I should add...my climbing sticks have steps on both sides but that close together isn't comfortable to me by itself. But combined with two more steps it is nice

Reactions: Prog27

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
So far I have just used screw in steps as my platform. They have worked but at times I've struggled to get them started in the tree (not to mention their noise) and feel like this may become more of an issue with colder weather approaching. It appears climb paws is always out of stock so they're not in consideration anymore and I'm not sure how to tell if the Ameristep rope steps are the recalled bunch or not. I had never heard of the stealth steps before but they seem to be similar to climb paws except they've figured out how to make them compact for transport. The one thing I noticed on their website was they recommended only stepping on them with your toes facing the tree so as you maneuver around the tree I would assume these steps could become unstable? Justsomedude have you had experience with these? I have looked more into the stepp ladder as I had never heard of them before. Anyone try these for platforms or have any issues with them making noise or being unstable as you maneuver around the tree?
Ameristep recall info: http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ameristep-strap-on-step-recall-information.888/

If you can use screw in steps, look at the cranford ez screw in step. They are much quicker, quieter and easier than the regular screw in steps.

Hawk

Sep 27, 2016
I ordered some cranford ez steps to try since they're legal where i hunt now but i will need something else for the other states I'm planning on hunting in November. How much for the top paws justsomedude if i don't like the cranford steps. I never realized how much experimenting it takes to come up with a good platform when you start out

mejer

Dec 22, 2015
Hawk I made my climb paws out of Schedule 40 3'' PVC very easy to do just cut them on a 45 degree angle and cut one inch slits in them with a roto zip. Been using mine for over ten years.

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
IMHO the best quick platform is to use the top of a 2 step stick like helium sticks and 2 jim stepps (one on each side. With this set up you can shoot around or walk around most trees I hunt. I use a boat buckle and ameristeps often but they always make me wish I had my stepps as the plastic steps seem to always move when you apply side pressure. I modded mine with lag bolts but they still tend to move at all the wrong times. With stepps the initial set up takes a few minutes longer but once set I have rarely if ever experienced slippage or movement when I am moving or putting side pressure on them. Of course I love small platforms and I use my version with the top of my stick 90% of the time that is all I need. Just my way to skin that cat.

MCDM

Vendor Rep
Apr 18, 2014
Connecticut
If your hunting a small diameter tree you can just use the top steps of your sticks and still shoot all angles. If its a bigger tree I throw up some ameristeps.

trukweaz

Sep 18, 2016
The easiest is the top double step of a stick. Muddy sticks and a few others have a dual top step. I DIYd a double step for my Lone Wolf sticks and it works great.

Add a couple screw in steps or Ameristeps on a ratchet or boat buckle and you're in business.
Hey G2 can you point me to your LW double step mod, please?