• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Saddle Hunting Rain Gear

I use a screw in umbrella, or simply let it fall.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

I use an umbrella when I stand hunted. Figured it wouldn't help with wet legs from water running down the tree so I been using the bass pro StormTex rain suit. It's light and breathable and has a soft outer layer that's quiet. The outer layer holds water but you stay dry on the inside. It's not a high dollar suit but has been holding up for several years for me. I only use it a few times a year so I didn't want to spend a lot on it and it does what I need.

Cabela's MT050 Scent Lok Bibs (always bibs in the rain or cold) and jacket. Scent Lok MT050 gloves. I will wear a scent lok mask (not hat and mask) and then put my hood up.

I decided long ago that I don't get to hunt as many days as I would like and I'm not letting weather stop me if I think the hunting can be good. I have about $500 into that outfit but I have way more than that into all the gear that would sit in my truck if I let the rain chase me away. So it was worth the investment to me.

I wore My ScentBlocker Alpha suit in the rain all day yesterday and they worked well. The only downside is the fleece absorbs water and made it heavy but it didn't penetrate to the under layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you guys keeping your saddles dry? I used to not worry about it when I used a bosun's seat made it off wood but now I'd hate to turn my Weaver saddle into a mold factory.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

DIYSaddler said:
How are you guys keeping your saddles dry? I used to not worry about it when I used a bosun's seat made it off wood but now I'd hate to turn my Weaver saddle into a mold factory.

I don't, mine gets wet all the time. I just dry it out and go on. I just don't like sitting on a wet saddle.

Thanks,
Boswell

Re: RE: Re: Best Saddle Hunting Rain Gear

Boudreaux said:
I don't, mine gets wet all the time. I just dry it out and go on. I just don't like sitting on a wet saddle.

Thanks,
Boswell

So you just hang dry over night and repeat? Just curious because I'm not sure I could get away with that and still be able to hunt out of it the next day.
c644e837d65c0dff1984b8e8da660311.jpg

I use military issue wet weather gear. Works great. My neoprene tree saddle has been soaked dozens of times. I let dry in the sun or throw it in the washer. As a matter of fact it's in the dryer right now. It was 25 and snowing all morning.

g2outdoors said:
I use military issue wet weather gear. Works great. My neoprene tree saddle has been soaked dozens of times. I let dry in the sun or throw it in the washer. As a matter of fact it's in the dryer right now. It was 25 and snowing all morning.
Guess I should be checking with Weaver for washing and drying instructions. I've been worried about potentially weakening the webbing.

DIYSaddler said:
Boudreaux said:

Thanks,
Boswell

So you just hang dry over night and repeat? Just curious because I'm not sure I could get away with that and still be able to hunt out of it the next day.

Mine gets wet all the time too. I just hang it in the garage after it has rained, or if it is really cold in there I will hang it in the basement overnight. I will take the tree rope and linemans belt out of the pouch and drape everything and sometimes some of the thicker parts may be a little wet still but its usually dry enough to sit in the next day.

Has anyone tried this stuff on their gear to maybe water proof pouches and things like that?
038d9366c400ac3a92b790381039e01e.jpg

DIYSaddler said:
Has anyone tried this stuff on their gear to maybe water proof pouches and things like that?
038d9366c400ac3a92b790381039e01e.jpg

I haven't seen that before, but it might be a good thing to use on a saddle, if just to make it easier to dry after a rainy sit.

redsquirrel said:
I haven't seen that before, but it might be a good thing to use on a saddle, if just to make it easier to dry after a rainy sit.

Got it from walmart the year before last to waterproof a cheap hunting coat. Never got around to using it. It says something about being UV reflective on the label.. So I was a bit worried about it turning me into a Christmas tree.

What about Frog Toggs they are cost effective and the material is quite silent.. they have a dark green set that im sure wouldn't be too noticeable from the ground when you are up high. Not real sure on toughness though but I have some I may have to try this year if needed..i also have the screw in umbrella pair them up and im sure it would be quite a pleasant sit.

suicyderider said:
What about Frog Toggs they are cost effective and the material is quite silent.. they have a dark green set that im sure wouldn't be too noticeable from the ground when you are up high. Not real sure on toughness though but I have some I may have to try this year if needed..i also have the screw in umbrella pair them up and im sure it would be quite a pleasant sit.
I have a pair of camo and a pair of black frogg toggs. They're nice everywhere except hunting. They're pretty loud. When you brush up against anything it makes a lot of noise. They rock for everything else though. I have used them while hunting, but they're not ideal

. I'm normal. It's everyone else that's weird.
Shaun.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Best Saddle Hunting Rain Gear

essdub said:
suicyderider said:
I have a pair of camo and a pair of black frogg toggs. They're nice everywhere except hunting. They're pretty loud. When you brush up against anything it makes a lot of noise. They rock for everything else though. I have used them while hunting, but they're not ideal

. I'm normal. It's everyone else that's weird.
Shaun.
The felt feeling ones or pvc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back