• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spikes/ lineman's belt

Mtnbowhunter

Alright guys new to the forum and and saddle hunting, just bought the aero hunter evo. I just wanna know what kind of rope or belt y'all are using as your flipline when climbing with Spurs? I bought a set of lone wolf sticks but after reading the other post's I'm wishing I'd bought a good set of Spurs like the climb rites y'all were talking about.

It seems like the wishing I bought something else never ends. You have a good start.

I like 9 mm ultra tech by Samson. Other like various 9 to 11 mm static ropes. Use it with some kind of ascender. I use a ropeman 1 usually. It is only rated to 10 mm rope but seems to work with 9 mm ultra tech.

Thanks that was my next question if an ascender was better than a prusik for climbing. It seems to be never ending, I have thousands of ideas after reading through this stuff. Actually got a piece of 4inch rubber hose to put on a ratchet as a platform but it was a little to flexible and didn't work the way i imagined it would.

Thanks that was my next question if an ascender was better than a prusik for climbing. It seems to be never ending, I have thousands of ideas after reading through this stuff. Actually got a piece of 4inch rubber hose to put on a ratchet as a platform but it was a little to flexible and didn't work the way i imagined it would.

11 mm Samson predator might be the best choice for a ropeman 1 since it is rated for 11 mm rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using an 8' piece of New England High-Vee with a sewn loop on one end and Ropeman1 on the other for adjustment. I have tried to climb with a ligther 9mm rope and it's pretty rough on the hands since there's not much to grab onto when pulling yourself toward the tree to flip the rope up the tree. What I use is slightly heavier but it's worth the weight I think.

I'm using the 9mm ultra tech with a kong duck. I started with 11mm rope. The smaller rope takes a little bit to get used to but the more comfortable you get with the spurs the easier it is. I don't ever really flip the rope up anyways, I usually just slide it up.

I don't know what its called but i saw a video where after you attach your lineman's belt and start climbing they connected each side of the lineman's belt with a piece of rope between you and the tree. It kinda snugged it to the tree when climbing and kept him from sliding down when he gaffed out. Do y'all use anything like that?

I don't know what its called but i saw a video where after you attach your lineman's belt and start climbing they connected each side of the lineman's belt with a piece of rope between you and the tree. It kinda snugged it to the tree when climbing and kept him from sliding down when he gaffed out. Do y'all use anything like that?

You can run your rope around the tree in an X Pattern and get the same effect. I had a video on here last year showing it

Thanks fellas. I ordered the climb rights this morning so by Saturday I should have em and be practicing. Just gotta figure out if im gonna use steps for a platform or a lone Wolf seat now.

Thanks fellas. I ordered the climb rights this morning so by Saturday I should have em and be practicing. Just gotta figure out if im gonna use steps for a platform or a lone Wolf seat now.

Awesome. Don't feel discouraged if you hate them at first lol. It takes some practice. I felt pretty good with them after a couple hours at first. I use a platform with mine and take the spikes off while I hunt and rappel down. That has worked out the best for me so far.

Awesome. Don't feel discouraged if you hate them at first lol. It takes some practice. I felt pretty good with them after a couple hours at first. I use a platform with mine and take the spikes off while I hunt and rappel down. That has worked out the best for me so far.

I'm kinda leaning towards a platform instead of steps. Can you shoot all the way around the tree as good as you can with steps?

Well they made it. Gotta say i worked up a pretty good sweat just getting to about 13 ft or so lol. Overall I like the Spurs just gotta practice and maybe get a ropeman cause it's tough adjusting the linemans belt with a blakes hitch. What are the smallest trees you guys would use spikes in? I was in a chesnut oak about the size of a basketball.
0559c2bbfb0508252ede262b0c658681.jpg
5c4c9286883834d346175cae617f959c.jpg
7ecc4fd1d2e6d3028eb4f5f1766f9af6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Looking good! That size tree is about my ideal size for hunting from but I have climbed smaller. Just have to be a little more careful on the placement of your spikes.

Looking good! That size tree is about my ideal size for hunting from but I have climbed smaller. Just have to be a little more careful on the placement of your spikes.
What do i need to do differently? Do I need to be more straight up and down?

I usually climb that size or a little smaller. The more you lean back, the harder it is to climb. But you also feel more secure. You'll have to find a good balance of comfort and climbability. Watch some videos of professional tree climbers on youtube and then copy their techniques. That's what I did.

Also, the Ropeman on your lineman belt will make a HUGE difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What do i need to do differently? Do I need to be more straight up and down?

You don't need to lean as far back as you think. Once you get the feel of the spike going in the tree you will gain more confidence in what angle you can keep. Farther away is harder because you really have to pull yourself a good ways toward the tree to advance the rope and that takes energy. My rope usually holds me away from the tree the same distance that I can hold onto the tree with my arms slightly bent. When I am coming down I actually hold onto the tree instead of the rope and the line will fall a short distance just by pulling myself in a little bit. Hope that makes sense lol.

Yea, the ropeman will make things much easier. That tree is a good size. I have climbed trees that are very thick too as long as I can get mine lineman's belt around them. You have to be careful once you start to go smaller because since the tree is so much narrower than your stance you will be prone to kick out.

Just keep practicing. It is a very weird feeling when you start but you should start to get a feel for it with practice.

Back