• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DaveT1963 platform

kenn1320

I decided to make a platform like Dave made. I will list the dimensions I used and what I found while testing it. Thanks to G2 I decided to try to use it as a aider holder for the 1 stick climbing method. I tied up an aider and will show that as well.

Here is the platform held to the tree with a strap for testing only. I will add a versa button to use for the climbing. This platform seems to only need (1) strap to secure it at height, the one on the hooks to cam lock it as Dave shows in his video. One of the problems with Aiders is they are hard to get your foot in if they are up against the tree. By tying it to the platform it keeps it off the tree nicely. I also have had issues with the alternating left/right loop aiders and came up with a way to tie an inline ladder.

You dont want the aider too far off the tree, as your toe against the tree aids in stability. Getting up and over the platform isnt tough, but since the aider isnt at its edge, it is slightly in the way on that last step. You only have to go over it at hunting height. I set the jim stepp as a goal to get up onto and it wasnt a problem. I havent actually climbed with it, but shouldnt be a problem if I was able to get up on that jim stepp which simulates pausing off to the side of the tree via a tether while you lift the platform. My aider steps are 19" apart.

A simple route through the platform and water knot holds the aider in place.

The aider is built using individual pieces of 1" tubular webbing. I removed them from my climbing sticks to experiment. :lol: So you run the webbing through the tube and loosely tie an over hand knot. You take another piece of webbing and chase it forming a water knot. Dave has a video on this in his adjustable bridge video. My boots are size 11.5 and wide. I had the black tubes cut to 8" on the sticks. What I found was they would bend in the middle, lengthening the distance between steps. I cut them down to 6" and with this inline ladder configuration they are just right. IF you decide to build an inline aider, you start with the bottom step and tie the next step on top.

For the main post I went with 6061 solid bar 1.25" square stock. I played around with mounting this platform to my helium stick and it bowed more than I felt comfortable with and that was just leaning on it. Im 235lbs and while the solid stock is likely over kill, I wanted to hit a home run on the first shot. I can lighten it over the summer if needed. I might play around with solid 1" and hollow tube 1.25" with and without something inside it of it. We are loading this with forces greater than seen on the tree stand. I might also burn a favor and have it lightened on a mill. I dont have an accurate scale to measure total weight, but the bar stock is 1.9lbs at 12" long.
Main bar = 1.25" square bar stock 12" long
Brackets = Batwing Lone wolf brand
Platform = Alpha Lone wolf brand

Batwings are mounted 5/8" from each end and centered.

Platform bolt is 4.25" from the top and 7/16" from the back of the bar stock.

All holes are 1/4" drilled through. Seat bolt is 2.5" long 1/4-20. The Batwing bolts are 2" long 1/4-20 with lock nuts. I did have to slightly round the corners with a file where the batwings bolt on. Fairly painless modification.

I initially had the platform biased towards the bottom. What I found is as I loaded the platform, the top batwing would lift off the tree. If you wanted to use it in this configuration, you could put a versa button near the top and use 2 straps. If in field testing shows the single strap isnt working as well as in the yard, I will go with the lower mounted platform and second strap on a versa button. I will be adding a versa button anyway for the climbing, but plan to use (1) strap for climbing and then move it to the platform to hang it for hunting. As luck would have it, I didnt have to drill a new hole, just flipped the seat over and back into the same hole. :cool:

First try, platform biased towards the bottom.

Platform biased towards the top.

The platform adjuster bolt squeaks, so Dave suggested velcro or duct tape at the interface with the post.

Also Im noticing the hole in the platform ears is larger than the bolt. This allows some movement. I will remove the seat/platform and see if the next size up bolt will fit, even if its metric. If so, I will redrill the mounting hole in the post. I will also mention the platform feels like it bends slightly under my weight on the edges. In hunting mode the saddle will lighten the weight I apply on the platform. I will focus on using the center of it close to the post when placing full weight on it.

Yup, that one ranks right up there in the 'cool' department.
Good job; I'm interested to learn more about what you think of this as you spend some time getting to know it.

Scott F said:
Yup, that one ranks right up there in the 'cool' department.
Good job; I'm interested to learn more about what you think of this as you spend some time getting to know it.

Thanks Dave, it was all inspired by you. I even got the idea of using the water knot from your video on adjustable bridge. It just clicked that I could join 2 straps without experiencing slip.

Good work Kenn. Do you think having it mounted even higher might help?

redsquirrel said:

Im not sure, but know I need room for the versa button. :D One thing I can say is due to the shape of the batwings "teeth", the cam over action of the seat really bury them into the tree(well on the maple in my yard anyway).

redsquirrel said:

Middle is definitely best with the two bracket design. It balances the load better across both brackets. Low is best with the tear drop seat/versa button design. The two bracket design is definitely more solid. Platform adjust ability alone makes it worth it. Biggest benefit of the low design is transport.

I like the standard V bracket over the bat wing. The bat wing digs in more but the versa button is casted over a longer area. Both feel the same when loaded. The batwing is definitely stronger. I've broken many v-brackets over the years.

I'm anxious to get my hands on my prototype again. The recent addition to the family has kept me away from my hunting equipment. I have a quiet safety pin I plan to use as a replacement to the bolt that holds the platform. This will allow me to swap in various seat sizes. The elite platform is close to the size of the assassin. Alpha size is go to. Assault is for light weight.

I'll pull together some photos after christmas

BassBoysLLP said:
redsquirrel said:

Middle is definitely best with the two bracket design. It balances the load better across both brackets. Low is best with the tear drop seat/versa button design. The two bracket design is definitely more solid. Platform adjust ability alone makes it worth it. Biggest benefit of the low design is transport.

I like the standard V bracket over the bat wing. The bat wing digs in more but the versa button is casted over a longer area. Both feel the same when loaded. The batwing is definitely stronger. I've broken many v-brackets over the years.

I'm anxious to get my hands on my prototype again. The recent addition to the family has kept me away from my hunting equipment. I have a quiet safety pin I plan to use as a replacement to the bolt that holds the platform. This will allow me to swap in various seat sizes. The elite platform is close to the size of the assassin. Alpha size is go to. Assault is for light weight.

I'll pull together some photos after christmas

I thought about a quick connect pin, but don't believe most are strong in a shear application. You need a hardened one.

NICE!

If you're going the 1 stick route, I think your aider/platform combo is tough to beat. The only thing I don't like about my LW system is the size of the LW sticks themselves. They are bulky to pack through really thick terrain. Muddy sticks might work better, but then I'd probably want to use 4 sticks as opposed to 3 LWs.

WILL THE TINKERING EVER END?!?!?!?!?!?!

I might swap my inline aider over to one of my Jim Stepps, bet that would work very well. The downfall of them is they arent very big. For a short hunt, no problem, but I used 3 on an all day sit and wasnt ideal. Also the Dave T platform gives you better footing to shoot a wider range. The Stepps are light, so one with an aider and another on your waist would make an excellent long range climb and hunt for 3hr setup. Maybe an extra step or two if you end up in a big tree. What I found with 3 stepps is its tough to set them at the same height as ropes start getting in the way of each other.

g2outdoors said:
The Stepp ladders work great as long as you can deal with their faults.

That can be said about any system. Things are rarely perfect.

Quick update guys, my seat bent and by bent I mean a lot. I was working on changing the seat bolt position on the main post to allow the seat to fold flat for transporting and that's when I noticed the seat was bent. Not sure if this is due to my weight, Chinese casting, or both. I can't garauntee it wasnt bent prior to standing on it. I used to put all my weight on it when it was on my stand, to cam lock it to the tree. I will either look to add short cable supports or build a new platform that isn't so over hung.

That straight edge is sitting flat on (2) bars of the platform between the mounting ears.

Back