• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"DaveT1963" replica

Scott F

This is what happens when you watch a cool video on a morning when you can't hunt (Sunday) and your wife and kids are out of town - you make a new saddle. This one is made from seatbelt webbing and some Cordura 1000D that I bought to replicate a treesaddle. I decided to make two gear sling attachment thing-a-ma-bobs dangling on the back but I didn't know how useful they would be so I decided to take the time and sew a molle-type attachment strip down the center because I have a bunch of pouches that could work on here to haul some stuff.
This is my latest saddle that I made - completely inspired by Dave's recent video. I wanted to make a saddle that was more comfortable than the minimalist tree sling that I made previously. Although I only sat in it for a little while in my garage, I can tell that it is WAY more comfortable than that sling. This may be a result of lengthening my bridge or by the fact that I padded this saddle with an old isomat that I had laying around, either way it is very comfortable so far. Time will tell if it will be more comfortable than the hard-based seat that I am familiar with. I can see how I will really enjoy the option of having my lineman's belt attached to my saddle. I currently use a dedicated lineman's belt and I wear my seat as a backpack up the tree only to have to devote some time in the dark to getting my straps in order and attaching it to my lead rope, this will be quicker, certainly quieter and probably much safer.

This thing works exactly as his video shows and I really couldn't be happier with the outcome.
I know that the pictures suck, but it was too dark to take any pictures hanging in the trees in my backyard. Maybe some other day.

In the near future I may have to either make one of his platforms or try to beat G2 by attaching a seat to the top of my LW sticks. In either case, I can't wait for his next video! Thanks Dave.

Semper Fidelis

Awesome job, that is almost exactly what I have in mind. Wish I had a machine to be able to sew a quality product like yours.

Thanks. I really enjoy most DIY projects, case in point, before I posted this thread I was in the garage cutting some aluminum angle iron to try out that type of platform! I bought an old Singer model 15 treadle machine specifically so that I can sew webbing to make some other projects that I had in mind for backpacking hobby. My machine was made in 1935 and I'm pretty sure that it could sew through some 1/8" plywood if I wanted to try. There are probably portions of my saddle that are 5 layers deep with three different types of webbing and some 1000D Cordura.

Laying out this and trying to think it through was the hardest part especially since I have never held the brand that Dave references in his video - even though he never mentions the manufacturer's name...

I still have to attach my cam buckle for my lineman's belt but that is really simple. I'm waiting on this because I want to make a dedicated pouch to stow this in, then I'll attach it.

For my bridge I will use a length of blue water 1" tubular nylon. I'm thinking of just threading it through and securing it with a water knot rather than using (2x) carabineers, that way I only have (1x) metal piece on the entire set up to clank around in the dark. If I get really crazy I could use a bowline loop on my bridge and just tie a blakeman's hitch to my lead strap for a metal free saddle. In all seriousness, I'll probably head to the woods on Saturday morning with (3x) carabineers on this thing.

Bummer you didnt have the 1" runner when you made this, could have looped your black webbing through it and sewn it up. :cool: My wife has a singer 301a I believe, which some say will sew webbing, some say no. I hate messing with sewing machines. :lol:

Awesome job! Thank you for the kind words.

Like I said in the videos my saddle is not for everyone and I would never recommend anyone duplicate what I have done. Have to put that crap out here as everyone is so sue happy now a days. The truth is, if you keep your head in the game, analyze and mitigate risks, there are ways to make things better and more comfortable and still be safe. Nice job!

Trust me Dave, I probably couldn't scrape up enough cash to hire a lawyer for a lawsuit, you're safe!
Besides, I sewed the crap out of this and the way that the 'D' loops are doubled over, I don't think that it could fail even if almost all of the stitching gave out.

I was finally able to view your pics this morning and I have to say that's sharp.

Scott F said:
In the near future I may have to either make one of his platforms or try to beat G2 by attaching a seat to the top of my LW sticks. In either case, I can't wait for his next video! Thanks Dave.

Semper Fidelis

Challenge Accepted. Go Army.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

g2outdoors said:
Scott F said:

Semper Fidelis

Challenge Accepted. Go Army.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Lordy we have Army, Marine and AF working on one project......

I have no doubt the solution we come up with will be extremely lethal and waaaaay too expensive.

That looks good! I also set up my Evolution just like DaveT's and I love it! My whole rig with everything I need is 4.5lbs and so much less "cluttered" with all the extra straps and buckles. My hunting buddies will think I'm absolutely nuts for hunting that way, but I think they are nuts for hunting those uncomfortable metal stands! :lol:

That is a fine looking saddle there! And great craftsmanship! Can you post more pics when you get a chance?

Dadgum it - I hope that you aren't looking for close ups, you'll quickly see that I am NOT a sewing expert!

I'll try to get someone at the house to snap a couple pictures and I'll upload them tonight.
Any specific angle(s)?

Scott F said:
Dadgum it - I hope that you aren't looking for close ups, you'll quickly see that I am NOT a sewing expert!

I'll try to get someone at the house to snap a couple pictures and I'll upload them tonight.
Any specific angle(s)?

Yes, wearing it attached to a tree. :D

Sorry guys, just got home from work a little while ago. It may have to wait until the weekend before I can post any 'action jackson' photos.

I can tell you this, I hooked it up again in my garage by simply threading the nylon webbing bridge through both D loops and tying it off with a water knot. Then I tied a blake's hitch on my lead line and tied this to my bridge with a bowline and it worked out well. It proved to me that I could have a metal-free saddle if desired. This, like most things is a give and take situation. I was not able to slide my bridge when I pivoted left and right in my saddle. I could probably get around this by running the lead rope through something with less friction resistance on my webbing before I tie it off as a bowline.

I may keep the carabineers off my D loops, but I'm back to using one with a prussic on my lead line. It only makes sense.

Back