• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Disadvantages to saddle hunting

NICK060200

Im new to this concept, but like the idea. what am i not thinking of? what are the disadvantages to this set up? Im probably going to end up with a modded sit drag or similar type deal.

One thing i see mentioned a lot is "any tree" . is that really true? Im not seeing it as being possible and in fact i see where there are tress an adjustable hang on could get into that a saddle would probably not work. an example would be a tree that grows on an angle. the stand could sit on top of the limb/trunk where a saddle you would be dangling below it with no where to put your feet.

also the whole platform idea, im still trying to figure out what im going to do with that, but have any of you guys got set up in a tree that has a crook or branch where you dont use a platform and just use whatever is growing from the tree to put your feet on?

thanks!

Like anything you have to pick your spot. A Tree Seat is certainly more versatile. I killed a buck some 20 years ago by tying 3 skinny pines together at the top. I had a screw in in 2 of the trees for my feet. When I leaned into the shot , the whole contraption swayed so far that I was nearly on top of the deer. Right in my range.

Im new to this concept, but like the idea. what am i not thinking of? what are the disadvantages to this set up? Im probably going to end up with a modded sit drag or similar type deal.

One thing i see mentioned a lot is "any tree" . is that really true? Im not seeing it as being possible and in fact i see where there are tress an adjustable hang on could get into that a saddle would probably not work. an example would be a tree that grows on an angle. the stand could sit on top of the limb/trunk where a saddle you would be dangling below it with no where to put your feet.

also the whole platform idea, im still trying to figure out what im going to do with that, but have any of you guys got set up in a tree that has a crook or branch where you dont use a platform and just use whatever is growing from the tree to put your feet on?

thanks!
Welcome to saddlehunter!

Any tree- The situation you described can be hunted with a saddle. You set up on the top side of the tree and hang into the tree, not below it. It is not the most comfortable set up in a conventional saddle, but it can certainly be hunted. If you have something like a fork on the guido's web or the onehair tree seat it becomes much more comfortable. I have a tree that I am up in a crotch where the part I am on leans out at almost 45 degrees. It isn't the most comfortable, but I can tolerate it for a 3-4 hour sit. This tree is also only 5-6 inches in diameter at this point and I can't see putting a regular stand in it. It is the tree that I need to be in if I'm going to hunt this spot.

There are people that do use parts of the tree as a platform. Personally, I do not. I like having my steps as a known factor. I don't want to step on the limb and have it creak or rub against the bark at the wrong moment.

Leaning trees present a challenge, you have to set up on them properly. They are a challenge with other stands as well. A platform helps the situation as your feet are now further from the tree, reducing the affect of the lean. I have a ladder stand on the edge of a plot. The tree leans towards the opening. Sitting in that stand sucks, cause you have to lean forward due to the tree lean. The deer come from other direction, so your hidden. I climbed it last night, put my xop platform above the ladder stand seat and hooked in on the low side of the lean, which most with a saddle will say is wrong side. If I was using steps tight to the tree, I agree you want to be on the high side. I had no problems with the tree lean. :cool:
Back when I used steps around the tree I could give you plenty of negatives, the platform reduces them.

Leaning trees present a challenge, you have to set up on them properly. They are a challenge with other stands as well. A platform helps the situation as your feet are now further from the tree, reducing the affect of the lean. I have a ladder stand on the edge of a plot. The tree leans towards the opening. Sitting in that stand sucks, cause you have to lean forward due to the tree lean. The deer come from other direction, so your hidden. I climbed it last night, put my xop platform above the ladder stand seat and hooked in on the low side of the lean, which most with a saddle will say is wrong side. If I was using steps tight to the tree, I agree you want to be on the high side. I had no problems with the tree lean. :cool:
Back when I used steps around the tree I could give you plenty of negatives, the platform reduces them.
I would agree that using a platform on the low side of the tree would make it much easier to do.

I think where saddle hunting REALLY shines is that it is immensely adaptable. I can set up in many more circumstances than with my Lone wolf. I can scout/hunt with strap on steps and pick most "somewhat straight" trees, and much smaller diameters than is safe/comfortable with a lock on. I can carry the platform and add some heavily leaning trees, shoot 360, or set up in narrow Y's. Saddles also reduce the bulk of items you carry in, drastically improving stealth on entry and exfil, the best description I have heard is that you are able to sound like an animal (rather than a human) without catching, scraping, and banging all the brush around you on a bulky metal stand. I also find saddles immensely more comfortable than sitting in a stand.

Out of all those pros, I really think the biggest is the tiny diameter of tree you can set up in. I typically hunt river and reservoir floodplains, and the vegetation pretty much stays as scrub brush due to floods drowning trees every 10-20 years. If I can find a straight tree, I can set up as high as the trunk will support my weight. I don't have a minimum diameter needed to catch all the contact points of a traditional stand. I can have multiple setup options in areas where other people swear you couldn't put a stand within 200 yards.

Disadvantages:

- Not as many accessories or specialized equipment for saddles
- Slower innovation due to niche market
- Your buddies will make fun of your "hunting diaper"

There really aren't many. I'd hate to go back to traditional treestands.

Concerning setting up in "any" tree... While it's technically true, I tend to setup in trees that would work equally well for lockon stands.

The only drawback or downfall to saddle hunting that I see is what attracted me to this style of hunting in the first place. The ability to hunt an area and be undetected. And I'm talking about other hunters, not deer. In the last couple of years I've had numerous spots taken over or encroached upon by other hunters that had no idea I was already set up in the area.
The term ANY TREE is true to a point. I think you have more options (trees) available to you while hunting from a saddle than you do with a conventional hang-on stand.

Good information here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting a bow to the right

its doable, but has to be the worst thing about a saddle

Bow arm THROUGH the bridge and you can shoot to the right easily. I just did it on a doe between the trunks on a big maple. Unfortunately she ducked really bad and I gave her a haircut lol. Shot was to my right and through this crack, deer was at the stump.
a90a915b2c183d6dfdc422d6373c1d43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost a shot opportunity FROM THE GROUND on a shot to the right. 10 point buck was 20 feet away from me and I couldn't turn without being busted.

The shot to the right is always more difficult with longer Trad equipment but I can't think of many instances in the past 30 years that I have been blocked from a shot other than cover. I prefer all of my shots to be slightly behind my left so I am slowly easing to my right in anticipation . Plant the right knee and pivot.

I can only think of a couple disadvantages for myself...

1) I find with my Summit climbing stand it is more comfortable on all day sits in the rut.
2) I hunt on a military base in VA that is loaded with larger older trees. Sometimes with some of the larger trees, I am better off with a lock on or a climber.
3) Shots to the right side are more difficult.

Other than that, the pluses far outweigh the negatives.

Like anything you have to pick your spot. A Tree Seat is certainly more versatile. I killed a buck some 20 years ago by tying 3 skinny pines together at the top. I had a screw in in 2 of the trees for my feet. When I leaned into the shot , the whole contraption swayed so far that I was nearly on top of the deer. Right in my range.

lol.

I'll say it, more movement if your walking around a tree. Don't be fooled. Get a platform, movement is greatly reduced. Tether gets in the way at times, but saddles are more fun.

Back