• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

???DIY Woodpecker Drills????

Pfraze

After reading about the bolt system of climbing, I went and bought a few supplies. I stopped at fastenal and got (10) 3/8"x6" grade 8 bolts for under $13. I also bought a 3/8" augur bit and a drill bit stop. After seeing the cost of the woodpecker and EZ Cut hand drill, I thought about making my own. Curious if anyone has made there own? I've got an idea but curious on what you guys may have came up with.

Thanks, I plan too. However, I would like a lighter, quieter method as well

What kind of 3/8 bit?
I know EZ KUT (and formerly woodpecker) uses a brad point bit... would a spade bit also work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one a few years, ago, but I made it more complicated than it needed to be. I'll try and dig it up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick question with this system your just taping the tree and screwing the bolts in correct. Is there a minimum depth to prevent bend outs. Like with screw in steps you are supposed to have the "L" portion bend touching the tree.

The bolts actually just slide in and bottom out. You are supposed to put them in at a slight angle to keep them from falling out

Here is the one I made. The trickiest part was drilling the hole in the drill for the kotter pin. I added the golf ball in order to be able to add pressure while drilling. I never got around to making a wood or antler handle for the other side of the wrench. The pin is there but I just need to wrap it with something.
bc1e2ecbcc730b6652bd58825d522bcc.jpg
cf3731a45bd037cc6ff913c0b98a0eca.jpg

Here's what I've came up with. I cut the handle off an old non-working trailer jack, then welded a socket to it. About $13 invested

Well, I went out a bought a 3/8" kreg bit with drill stop. $20 out the door at Lowes. The "fat kid on cake" is a great description of how this bit chews through wood... I like it.
d133b7bbc77f13a98d37a62e6b714939.jpg

How deep are you guys drilling these holes? I get how the system works but dang I'd want at least 6"s in the tree to feel good about it.

How deep are you guys drilling these holes? I get how the system works but dang I'd want at least 6"s in the tree to feel good about it.

I think the woodpecker/EZ KUT systems cut 2" to the stop. Unless it is super soft wood, 2" should be MORE than enough with a tight fit.

I think the woodpecker/EZ KUT systems cut 2" to the stop. Unless it is super soft wood, 2" should be MORE than enough with a tight fit.

I find myself conflicted... I would like to see it in person just to see what it's like, but I feel like I would grab a hand hold only to find myself hanging in space like Wile Coyote with a sign. Minus the sign just a post. I hunt mostly public land here in missouri and damaging a tree in anyway shape or form is illegal so I think this would be out. But they are fuzzy on climbing gaffs. The law says "spikes" not gaffs so I think that's the way the people that use gaffs read it. Honestly I think the law is to just prevent people from leaving metal in tree producing a ton of scetchy lumber.

Back