• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally connected after 2 years

LASOutdoorsmen

I got into saddle hunting two years ago, and from the jump I knew it was they to go for the rest of my life. Prior to this weekend I could never put a deer on the ground. The first opportunity for a shot the deer was directly behind me. I let an arrow fly and it connected, it just wasn't a lethal shot. I had hair and a bit of blood on my arrow, but there was no blood trail nor deer to be found. Twice I've shot over deer backs, an OLD doe and a nice 6/7 pointer. I tell you, with all the fails I started to doubt the practicality of the tree saddle.However, I continued to preset trees and tell people about the tree saddle.
All the setbacks, preparation, and hardworking came together this pass weekend. I tagged out on opening day, taking both does using the saddle. Both deer presented themselves on my off side, but I was still able to make an excellent shot on both. I did it y'all!!! I finally got it done in the saddle!
Hunting conditions:
Deer 1
. Overcast with rain moving in from several miles out
.70°F
.tree was prepped to climb up
.N wind, against my back
. Deer came within 17 yards of me with two other deer. She scent checked me the entire time she was in bow range. Never knew I was there.
. Got a heart shot and I watched her dropped 40 yards out.
c52dc8068f18b60ceb9e548f725caff9.jpg

Deer 2
. Cloudy with blue skies. 80°F
.HOT!!
. This was a mobile hunt on a property I never been on until my hunt. I used the leather saddle on this hunt because I knew it would be a four hour hunt. Surprisingly it didn't make me sweat.
.I spent hours studying topography maps and contour maps determining the best spot to setup shop.
.Doe showed up ten minutes to seven, at sunset.
. It was a very light wind, but I do believe I was down wind.
. The deer were very attentive, but not skittish. The deer heard me a few times move into position, but they never detected me
. The shot was between 23 yards and 27 yards. I was in a very awkward shooting position,however I still made a lethal shot. Slightly a bit more forward than I'd like. The shot angle vertically and horizontally sealed the deal.
63fe9a9f2db71cb88d06613279562cfa.jpg

Entry wound
1ff00a1a89d851c616502cd5f8eecd81.jpg

Exit wound
0336271f02224eb63eb00fe0b9de1456.jpg

Here's the kill shot video of the second doe I got yesterday. The fawn can be seen at 5seconds walking out the frame to the left. The kill shot is at the 50 second mark.
Disclaimer: I know the footage is horrible. The shot was right at sunset, so that's why it's very grainy. I fixed the footage up the best i could.

Last edited:
Congratulations! If you had any doubts about the saddle, it sounds like you're hooked for good now!

Thanks everyone. I regally appreciate the congrats. I hope yall have the same success.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's a good day right there! If you are gonna get your hands dirty, might as well fill the freezer with a Daily Double!

First gun kill out the saddle this morning. I saved this stand for late season and waited for the perfect wind. Snow is suppose to touch ground tonight. So I knew deer would be feeding heavily this morning. Sure enough, 30 minutes into my hunt he comes in to nibble on the briars& shrubs.
471d8b1ceb9049425dac2298f0237921.jpg
c74b5b47d05ebe5471831e8c3ff708ed.jpg

First gun kill out the saddle this morning. I saved this stand for late season and waited for the perfect wind. Snow is suppose to touch ground tonight. So I knew deer would be feeding heavily this morning. Sure enough, 30 minutes into my hunt he comes in to nibble on the briars& shrubs.
471d8b1ceb9049425dac2298f0237921.jpg
c74b5b47d05ebe5471831e8c3ff708ed.jpg

Nice. Congrats

Nice eaters there + congrats!

My first saddle kill didn't come until my 2nd season using a rifle, and my first bow kill didn't happen until my 4th season bowhunting. Persistence pays off!

Back