• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First deer from a saddle!

Chris_l

Michigan tag punched! Had an awesome hunt last night, for the last 2 hours of daylight I had small bucks chasing does, grunting, snort wheezing, and fighting all around me. As I'm watching the smaller bucks trying to impress the ladies I hear deeper grunts in the distance getting closer. He comes walking out the brush hair raised ears laid back ready to kick some tail. He closes the distance to 20 yard and starts pawing the ground like a bull, let's out a snort wheeze and the smaller bucks sneak off into the brush keeping there distance. He turns and works his way to 15 yards and stops slightly quartering to me, I settle my pin tight to the shoulder and squeezed. As the shot broke he made a step putting my shot 3rd rib from the back. Right away I thought not a big deal defiantly hit at least one lung and liver. The way he acted after the shot really threw me off, he hunched up and just walked fast about 30 yards and just stood there for what seemed like an eternity. As I watched him I notice him starting to sway from side to side and over he goes. About 15 seconds later I start to reach for my phone and I hear a stick break in the direction he went down, he got back up walked another 30 yards like he wasn't even hit and bedded back down again. At this time I'm getting nervous. There is rain the forecast so I sat quietly for another 45 min and slipped out of there as quietly as I could hoping I don't spook him if he is still alive. I pull up the weather and the rain is supposed to start at 10 so I decided to wait . A little before 10 I start taking up the trail and right away I find a small amounts blood for the first 10 yards than nothing. I start getting nervous and start heading the direction I seen him stand as quietly as I can as it starts to rain. As I'm scanning the ground I shine my flashlight up ahead and I see a small poplar tree covered in blood. Now I'm feeling alittle better. I make my way up there and i find big pools quaglated dark blood on the ground with an easy to follow blood trail leaving the spot. I keep going another 30 yards and there he laid. He must have died as soon as he bedded. The lack of blood at first was due to the exit being low and clipping the guts plugging the hole. It has been a fun and frustrating year learning to hunt out of a saddle but definitely worth it. Mobility, quietness, and comfort is unmatched. The forum has defiantly help shorten the learning curve. Thanks to everyone on here for sharing what you've learned and helping the new guys. Oh ya and my wife accused me of having girlfriend from being on my phone so much lurking around the saddle hunter forum lol.

4c9b0dfd8570fdfd07230b6e7a7fefaf.jpg
9e4fd3da569ce114b64abcf6486e5b50.jpg
213005d7f222baf6b4fcad5ccc352746.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great story! Great buck and cool pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome story and a great buck! Congrats!

Congrats!!! And loved the wife story!! Mine did the same thing!!! But she knows better now..

Congrats, great buck, love the bit about the wife!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is a great story and a great buck! Congrats!

Awesome! Pm me and I'll send you a congratulations gift for your first SHaddle deer!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Congrats. Good photos too!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back